Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Beans

Re: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Hi robasc, just had another thought. When you updated the subnet mask from 255.255.255.128 to 255.255.255.0 in the DHCP server config file, did you also update the /etc/exports for the nfs server, as I've just noticed on your webpage it was still using 255.255.255.128, which might explain why the NFS isn't mounting.
    Hello BigJimJams, Yes I did, in fact I freshly installed the whole thing again using the subnet you gave in the tutorial.

But still having the same problem.

There are a couple of things I am wondering here and you might have already noticed on the webpage is that I am using intrepid amd64 version.

I had to modify the updates for intrepid rather than hardy. Also I had to modify:

debootstrap --arch i386 hardy /nfsroot/kerrighed http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
    To:

debootstrap --arch amd64 intrepid /nfsroot/kerrighed http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
    I am not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Another problem I experienced is when I had to add a user in /nfsroot/kerrighed.

When I checked the /etc/sudoers file there was no user installed so I had to manually install the user as noted in the webpage.

This was just a couple of things I have been wondering about.

I really do not know what else to do but I am trying to think of something.

Beans

Hi robasc, not sure if this would help but it seems that its booting the kernel from tftp fine but just not mounting the NFS. Have you tried editing /etc/network/interfaces on the server, and changing the ethernet card to manual, like you did with the nodes?
    Ok, I set the server to:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual
    Just like the nodes.

Then I manually configured the server ip address like so:

sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    Then restarted the network and dhcp3

and I still have the same issue.

Beans

Hi
    I am fairly new to clustering and I've been having a hard time finding an up to date guide that works. I really appriciate your Kerrighed guide on Ubuntu, it's the best clustering guide I have tried yet. I am running ubuntu server 8.10 with the ubunu-desktop package install. when I try to run DHPC3-server I always get this error:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart
     * Stopping DHCP server dhcpd3                                           [fail] 
     * Starting DHCP server dhcpd3                                                   * check syslog for diagnostics.
                                                                             [fail]
    I hope someone can help me with this.
    Thanks,
    Cstrrider

Beans

Assuming you are using the same addressing scheme as the guide try manually configuring your ip like so:

sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    Then:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Beans

Everyone, I updated the webpage. I took some material and updated the /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf so my data would not become cluttered and confusing.

kerrighedCluster.htm

Beans

Hi robasc,

I got this problem too. Are you using an initramfs? I think I fixed it by changing my initramfs.conf file (which I think is in

/etc/initramfs-tools/).

Make sure initramfs-tools is installed
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install initramfs-tools
    Copy /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf to a backup file
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf{,.old}
    Edit /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf change the line BOOT=local to BOOT=nfs

Copy your current initramfs to a backup. Replace "<kernelversion>" with your kernel version in the form 2.6.xx-something (if

you don't know what it is and your using your running kernel just replace it with "$(uname -r)" without quotes)
    Code:
    sudo cp /boot/initrd.img-<kernel-version>{,.old}

If that fails I recommend against continuing.

We're going to overwrite /srv/tftp/initrd.img (if it exists). So move it to a backup file
    Code:
    sudo mv /srv/tftp/initrd.img{,.old}
    Then I remade my initramfs (making sure not to overwrite the initramfs I was using). Replace "<kernelversion>" with your

kernel version in the form vmlinuz-2.6.xx-something (if you don't know what it is and your using your running kernel just

replace it with "vmlinuz-$(uname -r)" without quotes (notice the "vmlinuz-" this time))
    Code:
    sudo mkinitramfs -o /srv/tftp/initrd.img <kernel-version>
    Change /srv/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/default to accept the new initrd now called "initrd.img"

Then copy the old initramfs.conf back to the old name
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf{.old,}
    I found this idea from a post on http://www.howtoforge.com/pxe_booting_debian .

Good luck

Beans

Hi robasc,

I got this problem too. Are you using an initramfs? I think I fixed it by changing my initramfs.conf file (which I think is in

/etc/initramfs-tools/).

Code:

Code:

Copy your current initramfs to a backup. Replace "<kernelversion>" with your kernel version in the form 2.6.xx-something (if

you don't know what it is and your using your running kernel just replace it with "$(uname -r)" without quotes)
    Code:

I appreciate that help jedi, unfortunately for me it did not work. I went up to the point above.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by jedi453 View Post
    Hi robasc,

/etc/initramfs-tools/).

Code:
    Code:

Code:

If that fails I recommend against continuing.

We're going to overwrite /srv/tftp/initrd.img (if it exists). So move it to a backup file
    Code:
    sudo mv /srv/tftp/initrd.img{,.old}
    Then I remade my initramfs (making sure not to overwrite the initramfs I was using). Replace "<kernelversion>" with your

kernel version in the form vmlinuz-2.6.xx-something (if you don't know what it is and your using your running kernel just

replace it with "vmlinuz-$(uname -r)" without quotes (notice the "vmlinuz-" this time))
    Code:
    sudo mkinitramfs -o /srv/tftp/initrd.img <kernel-version>
    Change /srv/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/default to accept the new initrd now called "initrd.img"

Then copy the old initramfs.conf back to the old name
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf{.old,}
    I found this idea from a post on http://www.howtoforge.com/pxe_booting_debian .

Good luck
    Hi Jedi453, this is a good point to note for doing a diskless-boot. Now that you've mentioned it, I vaguely recall doing something similar. However, when you get round to using the kerrighed kernel, you don't use a initrd.img when booting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by robasc View Post
    Ok, I set the server to:

Just like the nodes.

Then I manually configured the server ip address like so:

Then restarted the network and dhcp3

and I still have the same issue.
    Hi robasc, sorry to hear that your still having troubles! I noticed you we're using the 64-bit kernel and intrepid. I've actually been setting up another kerrighed cluster today, this time using the 64-bit kernel and 8.04. I followed the same guide as documented and setup eth0, as you've just mentioned, and it seemed to diskless boot fine. So maybe something has changed in 8.10 that I'm missing!

Also, from when adding a new user in the diskless boot system, it isn't automatically added to the sudoers file, which is why I mentioned adding them in the guide. I'll keep thinking about possible solutions.

Beans

Cool, well it looks like were on to a new idea then. Let's solve the mystery.

Thanks

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast