Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 LastLast

Thread: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Beans

Re: "multicoloured screen"

Quote Originally Posted by Bocho View Post
    I hope this information will be useful for some people with "multicoloured screen" (I was also among them). "Therapy":
    after you create your kernel and got "multicoloured screen", change its name from "vmlinuz-2.6.30-krg3.0.0" for something else e.g. "vmlinuz" (do not forget about "default" in /srv/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/) ... and your kernel is alive.
    And vice versa: if you want to see "multicoloured screen" - change the name of your working kernel to something else.

Works for me, has been tested several times.
    Hi Bocho, this is an interesting point. I must mention that I almost never use "vmlinuz" as filename, more something like "2.6.20-SMP-64". But your observation makes me think that the multi-colored screen effect may be a bug around pxelinux. Maybe just a filename length issue...

Thanks,

Louis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Lots of good information here. Once I get a few more workstations from the trash, I think I will try to make a cluster.

Beans

I'm interested in making a Beowulf cluster and this thread looks dead on it.

However, I don't have a dedicated switch to use. All machines here are connected on a switch with a fixed IP, therefore if I install dhcp-server on one machine, it shouldn't harm the current network, right? Basically, what I want to know is if it's possible to perform the instructions from the guide the same way without breaking the current LAN?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wbw View Post
    I'm interested in making a Beowulf cluster and this thread looks dead on it.

However, I don't have a dedicated switch to use. All machines here are connected on a switch with a fixed IP, therefore if I install dhcp-server on one machine, it shouldn't harm the current network, right? Basically, what I want to know is if it's possible to perform the instructions from the guide the same way without breaking the current LAN?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Hi, wbw.

Your network administrator (if that's not you) will not be happy about you putting another DHCP server on the LAN if one is running already. It's likely that one of your switches is the DHCP server if no other machine is doing it. However, this is like NOTHING in comparision to the deeply anti-social aspect of running a Beowulf on your LAN because it's really easy to saturate the network with traffic between Beowulf nodes.

That's why a Beowulf normally has a private LAN...

You can get a second-hand switch inexpensively off eBay

HTH,

Tony.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajt View Post
    Hi, wbw.

Your network administrator (if that's not you) will not be happy about you putting another DHCP server on the LAN if one is running already. It's likely that one of your switches is the DHCP server if no other machine is doing it. However, this is like NOTHING in comparision to the deeply anti-social aspect of running a Beowulf on your LAN because it's really easy to saturate the network with traffic between Beowulf nodes.

That's why a Beowulf normally has a private LAN...

You can get a second-hand switch inexpensively off eBay

HTH,

Tony.

Thanks for the fast answer!

Well, I'm not sure if there is a DHCP server already running, since all connections here are only with static IP. I understand point of saturating the LAN, but I was planning on using only two machines for testing purposes. If it works, we will probably be allowed to get a shiny new gigabit switch with some boxes. However, we will only get new "toys" if we prove it will work without any extra expense (oh, and probably without causing an incident on the LAN). =p

Considering the nature of this experiment (really few nodes, computation tasks only to test the process distribution), do you think it can still be problematic for the local LAN?

Thanks again, regards.

EDIT: Is it possible to do it with a router or it has to be a switch? With a router I could test at home with a desktop and a laptop, avoiding possible conflicts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wbw View Post
    EDIT: Is it possible to do it with a router or it has to be a switch? With a router I could test at home with a desktop and a laptop, avoiding possible conflicts.
    If your machines have multiple (at least two on the main node, one on a single client node works, two on client nodes if there are 2+) ethernet ports, you can create a private LAN without a separate router or switch. Static IPs would be the way to go in this case.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by quequotion View Post
    If your machines have multiple (at least two on the main node, one on a single client node works, two on client nodes if there are 2+) ethernet ports, you can create a private LAN without a separate router or switch. Static IPs would be the way to go in this case.
    The basic configuration of TIPC (on which Kerrighed's kernel-to-kernel communications and node discovery rely) requires broadcast ethernet for node discovery though. It's probably possible to tune TIPC to use a router instead, but this is becoming tricky

Thanks,

Louis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lrilling View Post
    The basic configuration of TIPC (on which Kerrighed's kernel-to-kernel communications and node discovery rely) requires broadcast ethernet for node discovery though. It's probably possible to tune TIPC to use a router instead, but this is becoming tricky

Thanks,

Louis
    LOL, I misread. I thought wbw wanted to do it without a router....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bocho View Post
    Hi All, and thanks for your posts and replies!

I hope this information will be useful for some people with "multicoloured screen" (I was also among them). "Therapy":
    after you create your kernel and got "multicoloured screen", change its name from "vmlinuz-2.6.30-krg3.0.0" for something else e.g. "vmlinuz" (do not forget about "default" in /srv/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/) ... and your kernel is alive.
    And vice versa: if you want to see "multicoloured screen" - change the name of your working kernel to something else.

Works for me, has been tested several times.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Slightly of another: since dhcpd package has been renamed to isc-dhcp-server for restart services I use this script:

Code:
    sudo restart portmap
    sudo service isc-dhcp-server restart
    sudo stop tftpd-hpa
    sudo start tftpd-hpa
    sudo service nfs-kernel-server restart
    sudo exportfs -ra
    Thank you baggzy for:this is saves my neurons

Best regards!
    Hello!
    I'm having trouble in building kerrighed 3.0.0 cluster.
    I know from this page that you have successfully building it.
    Can you help me? I mean can you send me a detailed installtion guide?
    Thank you very much!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by liangrx06 View Post
    Hello!
    I'm having trouble in building kerrighed 3.0.0 cluster.
    I know from this page that you have successfully building it.
    Can you help me? I mean can you send me a detailed installtion guide?
    Thank you very much!
    Hello,

(Just curious) if you are following the official guide from kerrighed.org, which step is failing?

Thanks,

Louis

Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 LastLast