Thread: Epson Perfection 660 scanner detected but cannot be accessed

Beans

Epson Perfection 660 scanner detected but cannot be accessed

My scanner seems to be properly detected, but I cannot access it. This is what makes me think it is detected:
    If I execute "lsusb" I'll get the following:
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04b8:0114 Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection 660
    Also, sane-find-scanner gives me
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0114 [EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:003:003
    So far, so good!

I have also added the firmware, called tail_058.bin, from my Windows scanner installation CD, and put it in /usr/share/sane (I have also tried the tail_061.bin downloaded from Epson, http://www.epson.com.sg/epson/driver...adType=Windows, with the same result as will be described). I have made this fw readable for everyone:
    Code:
    sudo chmode a+r /usr/share/sane/tail_058.bin
    and it is added to the /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf by adding this line
    Code:
    firmware /usr/share/sane/tail_058.bin

Now to the problem: When running xsane, as a user or as root, I get the following error message:
    Code:
    Failed to open device 'snapscan:libusb:003:003': Access to resource has been denied
    Since it indicates an access problem(?), I have also made the following change that hasn't changed anything: In the /etc/udev/rules.d/40-basic-permissions.rules, I have changed 664 to 666 in the USB devices section, i.e. before edit it looked like this:
    Code:
    # USB devices (usbfs replacement)
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", MODE="0664"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0664"
    and after my edit it looks like this:
    Code:
    # USB devices (usbfs replacement)
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0666"

Please help, I'm totally stuck!

Beans

Re: Epson Perfection 660 scanner detected but cannot be accessed

I finally found my mistake! I had the following line in /etc/sane.d/epson.conf:
    usb 0x04b8 0x0114

This line is now moved to /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf

Everything works perfect!

Beans

Re: Epson Perfection 660 scanner detected but cannot be accessed

A clarification about my previous two posts: In the first post, I forgot to write that I had added the line usb 0x04b8 0x0114 in /etc/sane.d/epson.conf. This was my big mistake! In the second post I state that moving this line, originally added by me, to /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf solved the problem. It did, but it was actually remomving the line from /etc/sane.d/epson.conf, added by myself, that helped, not adding it to epson2.conf. It does not seem to matter if it is added to epson2.conf or not. Now both the epson.conf and epson2.conf only contains lines that I have commented away, i.e. starting with "#". In summary, I suppose that adding the firmware as described in the first post would have been enough to get everything working, although I have not tested if that step is necessary at all or if it would have worked anyway.