Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO iPod with (Ubuntu) Linux

Beans

Re: HOW-TO iPod with (Ubuntu) Linux

Hi,

I'm having problems with my new 30GB iPod Video that I got for Christmas. I'm running Dapper Drake on an AMD64 processor, which might be the problem, but anyway, my computer detects it and stuff, just that it seems that each time I try to do something with it using either Rhythmbox or Amarok, those programs crash. Gtkpod gives me an error "Segmentation fault" and Floola doesn't seem to work at all. So, I'm kind of stuck here, having no idea what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Liz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

did you format your ipod drive in windows first?

Beans

Liz,

My daughter had an iPod and had the same problem. I hope you haven't uploaded any songs to it, because I have some advice that may fix you, but may remove any previous songs you have on the device. Consider this carefully before proceeding.

* I opened the folder for the iTunes and renamed the one containing the iTunes database. I renamed it to iTunes.OLD.

* If you haven't installed the MPEG encoder/decoders, consider using Automatix or some of the other scripts posted here on this site to do that.

* I installed gtkpod from the 'apt' command:

$ sudo apt-get --purge remove gtkpod
    $ sudo apt-get install gtkpod

(I didn't know how to compile it properly from source with the latest version from CVS.)

* I launched gtkpod and I get an error like yours and a few others. I then went to the File menu and did "Create iPod Directories". It created these. I then clicked the Sync button and quit the app. If you get an error on the "Create iPod Directories" part, it might be because somehow your PC is not mounting the iPod in read/write mode. If you have the Hold button flipped on, switch that off. Then, reboot your PC and insert the iPod. It will probably show up as read/write. Then, retry the "Create iPod Directories" part. This will recreate an empty database.

* Remove the device and plug it back in again.

* Launch gtkpod and it probably will work okay without error this time.

* Add new songs to the device. Click Sync when done. DO NOT CLOSE THE APP DOWN until it is finished synchronizing and the iPod's upper lefthand corner "busy" icon has finished spinning.

* I wouldn't recommend adding more than about 8 songs at a time. I had trouble when trying to add more than that at a time. Perhaps other people have had better luck, but I didn't.

* I found I could rename song titles, album titles, and so on by clicking in the fields in the bottom grid, waiting a second, and the field would go into edit mode like on a spreadsheet.

* Close gtkpod.

* Rightclick your iPod icon off the desktop and choose Unmount Volume. You'll get an error. DO NOT PULL OUT YOUR USB CABLE YET until it is finished synchronizing and the iPod's upper lefthand corner "busy" icon has finished spinning. NOTE ALSO that the busy icon on the iPod may stop a couple seconds and repeat itself as much as 3-4 times until finished. Click OK on the error to just ignore it. Hopefully this error will be fixed in a later-release of the usb mounter for the iPod.

* Ignore the fact that your iPod says, "Do Not Disconnect Device". Pull out the USB cable for the device out of your PC. Disconnect the cable from your iPod. All should be okay again.
    SuperMike
    When in doubt, follow the penguins.
    Evil Kitty is watching you

Beans

Liz, there is no Floola for amd64 processors available yet. So, you might want to try the suggested method (SuperMike) of compiling GtkPod yourself for your amd64 processor.

Good luck!
    Visit my website ruudbeukema.nl for linux howto's... (and other things)

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hey guys I tried this tutorial with Ubuntu 6.10 automount works picked up I pod and songs But i was unable to listen to any of my music form gtkpod all had that cant play symbol next to it any suggestions

Beans

SmiLey497, yeah, I did that.

SuperMike, I did everything you suggested up until the "Create iPod Directories" part. Gtkpod gave me an error "** (gtkpod:30004): CRITICAL **: ipod_directories_head: assertion `mountpoint' failed". My brother also tried compiling Gtkpod, but it didn't work either. We thought about upgrading to Edgy so that we could install the newest version of Banshee to see if maybe that works. If not, then I guess I'll either have to replace my current version of Linux with a 32-bit one, or go back to using Windows. ;)

Thanks heaps for helping, though!
    Last edited by merxzzz; January 1st, 2007 at 09:53 PM.

Beta 26 available. Since last posted version there's new folder sync feature, which should be fairly easy to use. Many bug fixes as well.

http://www.floola.com

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I have a ipod nano 2GB . I never expected to use it in my computer (running ubuntu 6.10) just thought id use wifes comp for that .

Tonight I decided to try , after seeing this tutorial . Works like a charm , automounted and opened up Rythmbox (Amorok still a no go though still trying) GTKpod works well too ..

kinda nice surpise

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMike View Post
    * I wouldn't recommend adding more than about 8 songs at a time. I had trouble when trying to add more than that at a time. Perhaps other people have had better luck, but I didn't.

* Ignore the fact that your iPod says, "Do Not Disconnect Device". Pull out the USB cable for the device out of your PC. Disconnect the cable from your iPod. All should be okay again.
    I usually find it difficult to add many songs at the same time (but I usually manage more than 8!). When I have a big album loading session, I usually get a crash at least once every five albums. Then I have to unplug, delete the songs, re-synch and add them again. It's especially painful because gtkpod hangs for a while before it gives you the Warning dialog. BUT...a long time ago I read about a fix for this on the forum. I can't find it now. Does anyone know what it is? It would be very useful to be able to simply add lots of albums and then hit Synch once.

Do Not Disconnect... You're right, it doesn't seem to make any difference. However, if anyone is worried, if you go File.../Offline in gtkpod you can eject the iPod 'properly' with a right-click. But remember to untick the Offline when you plug it back in or you'll think you've added songs when you haven't.

btw...One thing I find very frustrating about gtkpod is the time it takes to display my songs list. It reads the database quickly, but when I click on the device name (on the Left-hand list), it takes minimum 1s to read each song's details - and I have 3600+ songs! (this is on a PII 333MHz with approx 256Kb). Does anyone know if I can add songs without displaying the songs list?

Beans

Is there a way to make songs that are right now on my iPod but were put on by iTunes work in Linux, The ACC stuff I can get around because I have them, but my mp3s were gathered by other method. I copied the song from my iPod to my computer and they just don't seem to work in anything in ubuntu... [amaroK, juK and Rhythm Box]

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast