Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to login to Ubuntu server with any user account

Beans

Question Unable to login to Ubuntu server with any user account

Hi,

I run Ubuntu server 8.10 and use either ssh or webmin to administer it from within my lan. Yesterday I was suddenly unable to login using either methods. I suspected a problem with remote access so I connected a monitor and keyboard to the server and tried to login locally. There was no error re: username/password, the login prompt simply came back. I then booted in recovery mode and tried to reset the password of the only user account on the machine. This brought a "segmentation error" and was not possible. I thought perhaps the password had become corrupted so I created a new user and gave sudo/admin rights. Again it was not possible to login using this user. No error just the login prompt appearing after the password is entered.

Although it was not possible to login, all services on the server (mysql, squeezebox etc) loaded up as normal. I have not idea what happened so ended up re-installing. However I am a little concerned about it happening again - has anyone seen this kind of behavior before?

Is there something else I could have checked?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Unable to login to Ubuntu server with any user account

why run a server on 8.10 when 8.04 LTS is a more logical choice?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rob46 View Post
    I suspected a problem with remote access so I connected a monitor and keyboard to the server and tried to login locally. There was no error re: username/password, the login prompt simply came back. I then booted in recovery mode and tried to reset the password of the only user account on the machine.
    There is a way to recover using a boot disk and mounting your HD under it, but since you have reinstalled, there is no need. It would have been interesting to see what your logs files said.

<spiderbatdad> As to it being more logical to use 8.04 over 8.10, maybe, but it depends on what you want to do. Given your logic, it would be pointless for Canonical to release anything but LTS releases. Thanks for playing though.
    Last edited by randyks; January 5th, 2009 at 03:11 AM. Reason: grammar

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by randyks View Post
    There is a way to recover using a boot disk and mounting your HD under it, but since you have reinstalled, there is no need. It would have been interesting to see what your logs files said.

<spiderbatdad> As to it being more logical to use 8.04 over 8.10, maybe, but it depends on what you want to do. Given your logic, it would be pointless for Canonical to release anything but LTS releases. Thanks for playing though.
    randyks, thank you for playing as well. Maybe you would care to explain the benefits of running a development release on a headless server? It's cute to be a smart*** when you can hide behind a monitor, isn't it?
    Last edited by spiderbatdad; January 5th, 2009 at 11:32 AM.

Beans

Sorry to hijack the thread.

As a regular release, 8.10 benefits of an 18 month lifecycle.

from: http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whati...tion/techspecs

Under the heading: Ubuntu Server Edition 8.10

I accept your apologies.

Randy

Beans

I can confirm the exact same behaviour. I am also running Ubuntu Server 8.10.

Beans

Hi Rob46,

I found a solution to my problem here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ba/+bug/260687

- Reboot and choose the "recovery mode" from the boot selection menu
    - Choose "drop into root shell" from the recovery menu
    - Execute the command: dpkg --purge libpam-smbpass
    Doing this, I am able to logon again.

Before reinstalling libpam-smbpass, delete or rename /var/lib/samba/secrets.tdb:

sudo mv /var/lib/samba/secrets.tdb /var/lib/samba/secrets.tdb.old
    sudo apt-get install libpam-smbpass

Does this work for you as well?
    Last edited by joctee; January 6th, 2009 at 12:51 AM.

Beans

One very big gold star for you my friend. I had the same problem, but not running any server edition here, just plain intrepid, and this totally fixed the problem.
    Many Thanks.

Beans

Thank you very much for this fix -- can anyone explain why it works? what happened my system? and where did the fix originate. My wife thinks I'm nuts becuase I'm jumping around like a looney becuase I can log in for the first time in 2 days. Also, you can do this if you already have ssh-key login setup since this doesn't rely on pam at all, you can then sudo su - root, as long as you have sudo setup not to prompt for a password. both were the case with me, but most people will probably not be so lucky.

Thanks Again.

Beans

THIS WORKED!!!! I was still in Webmin when the issue started, last night I was logged out so I thought I was screwed and re-installed whole darn thing. Happened again today so I didn't log out of Webmin, changed this /var/lib/samba/secrets.tdb to this /var/lib/samba/secrets.tdb.old in file manager, went to command shell and ran dpkg --purge libpam-smbpass then sudo apt-get install libpam-smbpass
    AND I'm back!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast