Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I go for a Macbook?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Should I go for a Macbook?

Around June I may consider getting a Macbook.

These are some of the things that I look for in an OS:

Ease of use
    Ease of installing software
    Customization
    Gaming (mainly older things like Quake II and III and Jedi Knight 3)
    Free/Open Source application variety
    Speed

These are some of the things, though not everything. I quit using Windows about a year ago, and I do not want to touch it again after I have been using Ubuntu, openSuSE, and an occasional Mac.

I love Macbooks a lot. How simple is it to install and work Ubuntu/other distro on a Macbook? Does the hardware "just work" for Linux on a Macbook? I use HP Pavilion laptop that used to run Vista. Ubuntu worked on it flawlessly out of the box, 100%; I did not have to fix/configure anything at all. Would this be the same for installing Ubuntu on a Macbook?

Do I need OS X? The main reasons I feel I would like to try OS X is for more gaming support as well as more overall system support. Most things nowadays are catered to Windows or Mac, or both. Not a whole lot for Linux. Would OS X suffice as a Windows alternative that I could use to dual boot with Linux?

I hear WINE does not work well on OS X. Is this true?

Most importantly, am I better off just sticking with Linux?

These are just a few things I am looking at. Sorry if things seem jumbled at all, but I am a bit flustered after a busy holiday season with family

Beans
    Distro

Re: Should I go for a Macbook?

Stop for a second and think of reasons why you need OSX. Outside of support, is there anything else you need from the MacOS? Are you an artist, work with digital design/layout/formatting/paint/any other forms of digital media?

The reason why I bring that up, your list doesn't really scream for any need of OSX. Most of the stuff you have listed, you can do just fine in Linux (for some time now I might add). If you want a macbook for the trendy starbucks effect... I'd say forgo the entire idea and go with a company who supports Linux directly without the infestation of DRM/Lock littered throughout.

I'm going to stop there and leave the decision up to you. If you look through my posting history you will know I'm very against Mac in general. Macs have their place in the computing industry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

For notebooks, I actually feel Macbooks are the way to go. They're solidly built and very portable -- 2 crucial things for a notebook.

I haven't been all that impressed by any of the offerings from "PC" vendors in the notebook game. Of course, when it comes to desktops, build your own.

You could triple boot Mac/Linux/Win, which gives you lots of options.
    2008 WORLD EFFING CHAMPION PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
    "I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy."

Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, nVidia GeForce 8600GT

Beans

Why Mac? They cost more and Ubuntu probably runs better on PC.
    Apps for Ubuntu (outdated) ---> http://cid-23a283fc1010a1bb.skydrive...%20Wine|6?uc=1
    Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by s3a View Post
    Kind of what I always think. I purchased a lappy from System76 and will definitely make my next purchase from them. They support the hardware, software, and quite good to work with. Not to mention they install ubuntu by default. If you purchase a mac because you think the hardware is premium... you are only paying for the case, name, and operating system. The hardware is designed entirely by Intel using specifications set by Apple. For all intense purposes, the laptop I just got could be the exact same laptop with a different case/look, a few surface mount resistors, and a bios change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If you have enough money for it, yes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

If you are going to install on a macbook why are you buying a macbook?If you are not an artist you shouldn't go for a mac in my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by s3a View Post
    Macs are PCs
    They have the same guts as a normal x86 computer except for the use of EFI instead of BIOS

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    Ease of use
    If you are familiar with the basics of how computer work you should do well with OSX. Apart from some irregularities the applications are relatively consistent and hardware support is, as expected, flawless (at least on my 1.1 MacBook).

Ease of installing software
    Drag and drop installation mostly, with some installers occasionally thrown in (for applications which need root access mostly).

Customization
    You're out of luck here. Apple is all about the out-of-the-box experience and don't offer a lot of ways to customize OSX. You can't change the whole look.

Gaming (mainly older things like Quake II and III and Jedi Knight 3)
    Compared to Windows gaming support on OSX is still sparse at best but its getting better. Blizzard offers OSX versions of all their new games and EA also ports some games to OSX as well. Apart from that you should be able to use older games with virtualization software like Parallels.

Free/Open Source application variety
    There are quite a few native F/OSS applications for Mac but naturally not as many as for the free operating systems. You can install a lot of Linux/UNIX software via projects like Fink or MacPorts but the applications integrate badly with the rest of the OSX desktop functionally and look utterly out of place.

Speed
    What kind of speed?

I love Macbooks a lot. How simple is it to install and work Ubuntu/other distro on a Macbook? Does the hardware "just work" for Linux on a Macbook?
    Since I don't own one of the latest MacBooks I can't tell for sure but I am doubtful if things like the button-less trackpad are supported well or at all.

Do I need OS X?
    This is difficult to answer for outsides as "need" is defined by requirements which can vary from person to person.

I hear WINE does not work well on OS X. Is this true?
    Yes, at least in my experience. Virtualization software like Parallels is from an integration point of view vastly superior to Wine on OSX.

Most importantly, am I better off just sticking with Linux?
    You are on a Linux board. Guess what the answer will probably be.

Beans

Surely the OP would be aware of the arguments to expect in this forum...

I say buy a Mac or something else.

Both options will have their pro's & con's.

You can't loose.

Just consider yourself lucky as you are one of the few who can afford to buy a new computer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast