Thread: Problems writing to hfsplus external hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Problems writing to hfsplus external hard drive

I have an odd problem with my external hard drive, which is formatted as hfsplus. Normally I am able to write to it with no problems; however, every time it is improperly unmounted (i.e., due to a power outage or accidentally pulling the wrong USB cord, etc.), I am unable to write to it at all. The only way I can gain write access again is to plug it into my MacBook while it's booted to the Tiger partition and add or remove a file. After doing so and remounting it to Ubuntu, I am able to write again... until the next bad unmount.

It is plugged into my desktop running Xubuntu Hardy; my other computer is a MacBook running Tiger and Ubuntu Intrepid. This happened before I got the desktop, however, when it was just plugged into the MB with Intrepid or Hardy - in other words, the computer itself and the Ubuntu version doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I write to the external hard drive on a regular basis; it's a pain to have to go through this workaround every time the power flickers off.
    Last edited by Seamyst; January 3rd, 2009 at 06:41 PM.