Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 drivers

Beans

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 drivers

I'm dual booting Ubuntu 8.10 and Vista 32 ultimate.

My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP 8X (according to Windows), and I'm having problems with anything but the standard generic drivers in Ubuntu.

The Ubuntu OS let me know that updated NVIDIA drivers were available, so I selected and installed them. There were warnings that the Ubuntu programmers/team could not control the drivers because the are provided by NVIDIA. What a mistake.

The screen resolution dropped to less than 640 x 480 after a reboot, screen dialogs are so large I can't select apply or OK or whatever. I tried to reinstall the generic drivers using Synaptic, but cannot apply the changes because I can't move the dialog box or tab to the apply/OK button.

So, I'm currently wiping the partition using Paragon Disk Manager to reinstall Ubuntu 8.10 and try again.

Which drivers do I need to install for my NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440? I would like to experiment with some of the more advanced Ubuntu graphics settings/options.

You're talking with a noob here, so please be specific.

Thanks

Beans

Re: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._96.43.07.html

D/l the driver from that web site.
    Last edited by graysky; January 4th, 2009 at 12:22 PM.

Beans

Screw Ubuntu and linux. I've been dicking around with this issue for hours and, despite following instructions on Linux forums to the letter, get nothing but error after error, I can't do this, I can't do that, can't find this can't run that blah blah blah.

Ubuntu and linux are DEFINITELY not ready for prime time.

Keep it!

Beans

What have you tried so far? If you tried the 'Restricted Drivers' option in Ubuntu and it failed, then it may have been because of an incompatibility with the xserver in 8.10 and the older (96xx) drivers you would need for your card. I'm not sure if this has been fixed yet. I would definitely recommend the envy program.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk
    This program will then appear in the main menu and it runs through the installation of nvidia and ati drivers.

Beans

This is probably a limitation of the official nvidia drivers. You can try Envy for installing older drivers than are currently offered in the repositories. nVidia removed support for your graphics card in newer versions of the driver. The nvidia site itself suggests to use version 96.43.07 for the GeForce MX series.

Edit: like benerivo mentioned it can also be an issue with the older drivers and the newer xserver.
    Last edited by Surkow; January 3rd, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
    "I decided to be happy, it is excellent for one's health."

Beans

Tried Envy. Ran sudo install envyng-gtk and the program wouldn't run even from a terminal window.

Can't run this, can find that blah blah blah. Not installed. Even though I followed instructions on the program's site and Ubuntu forums.

But the NVIDIA drivers that are completely incompatible and hose the system are available for install in Synaptic.

Uninstalled Envy and tried using Synaptic to install. Same problem. It won't even launch much less look for or install drivers.

I'm a PC Tech and we've considered offering Ubuntu to our customers as an alternative to Windows.

NO WAY!

I've had my issues with Windows (since DOS). But if our customers ran into the same problems I did just trying to get a graphics driver to work, they'd be at our door with torches ready to string us up.

It's just not ready for prime time.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 drivers

Quote Originally Posted by kedrigern38 View Post
    I'm a PC Tech and we've considered offering Ubuntu to our customers as an alternative to Windows.

NO WAY!
    No offense dude, but I'm sick and tired of posts like this. You're a PC tech and you expect a community of users LIKE YOU to spoon feed you information in real time free of change?!

Damn, learn some patiences or how to use google effectively. Do you realize that it has been approx. 1 h since you posted and already you pissed all over the product and insulted the user base? Keep windows, you deserve it.

Beans

NO WAY!

I've had my issues with Windows (since DOS). But if our customers ran into the same problems I did just trying to get a graphics driver to work, they'd be at our door with torches ready to string us up.

It's just not ready for prime time.
    Dude most of us here are PC Techs and we just deal with our problems the same way we deal with windows problems (mostly Vista) S.T.F.W. Search the web.

Vista isn't ready for prime time and neither was XP when it was first released. Let's just say Vista is M.E. all over again. And your complaints about Ubuntu are that Hardware developers don't support Ubuntu and not the other way around. Get your facts straight.
    As a community we try to break bonds with money hungry corps. and help those who need help.

So in conclusion...... UP YOURS!!!

Beans

Tried Envy. Ran sudo install envyng-gtk and the program wouldn't run even from a terminal window.

Can't run this, can find that blah blah blah. Not installed. Even though I followed instructions on the program's site and Ubuntu forums.

But the NVIDIA drivers that are completely incompatible and hose the system are available for install in Synaptic.

Uninstalled Envy and tried using Synaptic to install. Same problem. It won't even launch much less look for or install drivers.

[...]
    While not commenting on the rest of your post. You should be able to launch envy from the menu. If you want to try it with the terminal (which isn't needed at all) you can try "envy -t" which allows you to get the text based version. It will ask you for your password. "gksudo envy -g" gives me the graphical version. When I started with Ubuntu years ago I installed these drivers by hand and had a lot more patience (say 2 months) in mastering the basics. Nowadays I never have to worry about incompatible hardware because I buy hardware that is actively supported in Linux. Blame the lack of support of nvidia for your terrible experience. Just use a modern pc to experiment with Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Surkow; January 3rd, 2009 at 11:54 PM.
    "I decided to be happy, it is excellent for one's health."

Beans

You're talking with a noob here, so please be specific.
    I'm a PC Tech
    I'm running the exact same card with the drivers recommended in
    System>Administration>Hardware Drivers
    Makes me glad I do my own tech work.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast