Thread: g.726 audio codec support

Hybrid View

Beans

Question g.726 audio codec support

I've got a couple of Panasonic BL-C131A webcams set up around the house. They stream MPEG-4 video and G.726 audio. I've got video working just fine (installed the 'restricted' codec set), but can't seem to get audio working. The webcam software points me to here for audio problems:

http://panasonic.net/pcc/support/net...G726_inst.html

This includes installation instructions for getting the G.726 codec installed on a Windows machine, but of course Linux is not supported.

Is there a way to get this codec installed from another source? I did a search in the Synaptic manager on G.726 and found 'twinkle' has support. I tried installing that but I still don't get any audio. I'm viewing the webcam via Firefox. Are there further steps maybe that I need to perform to get the codec recognized by Firefox (if it really was installed by installing twinkle)?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: g.726 audio codec support

Anyone have any ideas? I saw someone run into similar problems on another forum dating a couple of years back but there were no follow-ups for that person either. I don't think they ever solved it.

Thanks,
    --tim

Beans

Anyone? I normally hate bumping, but I get the feeling that threads get lost pretty quick on this website and I'd really like to find a solution.

Thanks,
    --tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tescott View Post
    Anyone? I normally hate bumping, but I get the feeling that threads get lost pretty quick on this website and I'd really like to find a solution.

Thanks,
    --tim
    Tim and other linux folks with the Panasonic BM-C131A camera or similar TRY THIS!!!

I've been hunting and pecking on this for quite a while. I tried Firefox under wine with the IE tab plug-in, but that seemed to crash (since I didn't have any real underlying IE, which that needs to work, I think).

So - I did this:

1. Installed "ies4linux"
    code:

wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/...-latest.tar.gz

tar zxvf ies4linux-latest.tar.gz

cd ies4linux-*

./ies4linux

2.That installed an executable, "~/bin/ie6" - I just made a new Menu item and added it to my panel.

3.Ran the new "ie6" and went to the camera. I then enabled the "MJPEG" refresh rate (from my default of 60 sec) - and waited until the pop-up from Panasonic appeared to install it's plug-ins, let it install and... - Voila! SOUND!!!

I didn't get the MPEG-4 plugin to work yet, but the MJPEG is fine, and yes this is IE6, but hey, it works.

This was installed on 64 bit Ubuntu 8.10, a Dell precision 380 dual-dual core, using its internal audio. The install failed the first time, but I ran it again and it worked fine. I did get a warning on install that my wine was an older version, and some other warning, but I ignored those. And yes, I do have a MS license for this machine (pretty much don't run the 64-bit XP it came with since anything I don't have in Ubuntu, I have inside wine).

Hope that helps !!!!!

-jvc

Beans

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely give it a shot!!!

--tim

Beans

Smile Re: g.726 audio codec support

Success!!! Well. Sort of.

Step 0) for me was to install Wine.

When I installed ies4linux, I encountered a seg fault. Ran it again, and it definitely got further, but failed with another seg fault at the Flash player installation. I tried again and it bombed at the same spot. On the 4th run, I just removed the Flash install checkbox and it was able to complete successfully. Wahoo!

I got sound working too, but only through ie6. I was hoping that Firefox would magically start giving me sound too, but no such luck. Oh well. Can't have everything.

Thanks a bunch for the tip!