Thread: Very slow SD card reader

Beans

Very slow SD card reader

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 on a HP dv6000 series laptop. Everything is going fine except for the internal SD card reader. Reading or copying files from the card to the laptop is VERY slow (~2Mbits) and during these operations, the computer becomes unusable with a 100% CPU load.

Interestingly enough, writing to the card happens to be ok, and I hadn't this kind of problems with Linux Mint Elyssa on the same computer.

This let me think about a driver issue, but I don't really know how to change/upgrade/downgrade it.

Any ideas to help me out?

Thx!

Beans

Re: Very slow SD card reader

+1... having (almost) the same problem. Mine also has problem when WRITING on the SD card. SDHC on an IBM thinkpad here and Karmic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by congogr View Post
    +1... having (almost) the same problem. Mine also has problem when WRITING on the SD card. SDHC on an IBM thinkpad here and Karmic.
    Yup, me too. Worked without a problem on Jaunty, but now it takes about 30 minutes for F-Spot to load all of my photos for me to import. I'm having USB issues too - if I have more than 2 USB devices plugged in to my laptop reading/writing to a USB memory stick is just as bad.

Beans

i have a similar issue. I have ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop, and it takes forever to acknowledge the SD card & reader. I have a USB multicard reader and if i connect it with a 128MB card, i can access the card in ~90 seconds. When I use a 2GB card, i cannot access the card for ~5 minutes after connecting it.

USB HDDs work quickly, but this SD card stuff is killing me. Is there any fix floating around for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

*bump.

Same problem here too. The reader was glacially slow in Karmic (I can't remember if I used it in Jaunty before I moved to Karmic) and now I'm using Lucid now and this hasn't fixed the problem. I haven't noticed any problems with USB connections so my fix is simply using my camera to transfer pictures but it's really annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by harck View Post
    Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 on a HP dv6000 series laptop. Everything is going fine except for the internal SD card reader. Reading or copying files from the card to the laptop is VERY slow (~2Mbits) and during these operations, the computer becomes unusable with a 100% CPU load.

Interestingly enough, writing to the card happens to be ok, and I hadn't this kind of problems with Linux Mint Elyssa on the same computer.

This let me think about a driver issue, but I don't really know how to change/upgrade/downgrade it.

Any ideas to help me out?

Thx!
    Precise p is out and problem is still there.
    gotta try this
    http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-us.../msg14853.html
    15.04 on a sammy NP300E5A-S06IT notebook