Thread: Cedega now offering 14 day free trial!

Beans

Cedega now offering 14 day free trial!

I've just recently received an email from Transgaming announcing that a trial version of Cedega is now available. So for all those people who want to know what Cedega is like without paying for a subscription, head on over to link below and get your trial version.

http://www.transgaming.com/products_linux.php

The download link is at the bottom of the page.
    Last edited by Mustard; December 13th, 2005 at 09:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Cedega now offering 14 day free trial!

Thanks Mustard for the info on this.

I have tried games with wine to varying success, so if from reading there site what they say is true, it looks really good, I am going to give this try.

All the best scruffy

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: Cedega now offering 14 day free trial!

One thing I've noticed with the Wine vs Cedega. Cedega is better at specific titles. For example, if you were to install World of Warcraft with it, there are all sorts info on the net for doing it. But if you were to pick up a generic 10 dollar game at Best Buy, it probably won't work with it.

On the other hand, with the latest versions of Wine, you can still play World of Warcraft, but there aren't as many howtos for it. And yet you can just go into best buy and get a 10 dollar game and it has a bigger chance of working with Wine then Cedega.

For an example, I have Puzzle Master 5 for Windows. Since there is NO decent jigsaw game for linux (the only ones I've even seen are xjig (old as sin and doesn't support jpegs, there was a guy working on porting it to gtk2 but development stopped and last I checked his page was down) and Kpuzzle, which does not work very well, and also the development has stopped. The last version to come out was in August of 2004, and that was only a port to KDE 3 libraries (he says he'll port it to KDE 4 when that comes out, but not add any new features).....

I first tried it under Cedega. It installed, but as soon as I tried to run it only a white box would pop up and it would just sit there. Normally it opens up a flash style animation box and allows you to choose which eGame to play (eGames is the publisher). Under wine it worked slow, and I didn't try too hard to get the midi music to work (I usually just turn that off and listen to MP3s) but other than that, it worked just fine! I had been trying to get it to work for a long time, but finally as of 0.9.2 it worked (haven't tried it with 0.9.3 of wine.)

Hopefully this will illustrate the main differences between Cedega and Wine. Even the new wine has some DirectX support in it, so it could very well be that Cedega is going to outlive it's usefulness. Most any game that supports openGL already works better in Wine (from what I've read).

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo