Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deluge/torrent clients seem to kill my network

Beans

Deluge/torrent clients seem to kill my network

Hi all

I run 3 PCs at home, on a nice little network. 2 wireless, 1 wired. I have one PC in the loft (attic) running 24/7, which I use as a torrent/download server. I tend to use Deluge as the client.

I've noticed in the past month or so, that even when deluge is not doing anything, that the performance of the other machines to the internet grinds to a halt. I've proved it by quitting deluge and seeing webpages jump up in browsers.

I'm at a loss as to why this should happen. I've throttled Deluge using the scheduler, but this doesn't appear to be bandwidth related ....

Anyone know what settings I need to look at ?

It also seems to happen with Vuze too, so maybe it's a torrent protocol thing ?

Thanks guys

Beans

Re: Deluge/torrent clients seem to kill my network

Perhaps you would be best to ask this in the deluge forum here. http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/
    Since I'm sure they know a lot more about any issues with their own torrent client. I found them very helpful even if they're not really fast at responding.

Or at least look and see if anyone else has had that issue and found a solution.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm willing to bet (if your behind a router) that your router is running out of sessions which will, depending on your router, lock up network traffic or reboot the router.

(when you say deluge wasn't doing anything was it still seeding?)

There should be options inside the individual torrent clients to limit the number of active connections, which should in turn keep you from maxing your router out.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Yes, I *am* behind a (cheap) router ... this sounds a promising line of investigation .....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

this happens to me too.
    it worked everithing well with 8.10 but i upgraded on jaunty and now all torrent program break my internet connection i tried disabling upnp and others but it still isnt working, after a couple of hours workin it breaks the connection

did you find a solution?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by woyzeckswoe View Post
    this happens to me too.
    it worked everithing well with 8.10 but i upgraded on jaunty and now all torrent program break my internet connection i tried disabling upnp and others but it still isnt working, after a couple of hours workin it breaks the connection

did you find a solution?
    Same problem here, using Ubuntu 8.04. I had no problems in Kubuntu 7.10 when I used that I could download torrents like there was no tomorrow and still surf and the connection would be stable and working.

I connect directly to the internet (no routers or crap) with a wired connection, and when internet dies I get no indication that the connection is lost, it all seems fine in ifconfig and network manager

I have no idea what I should post, and any help would be nice is there anyway of restarting DHCP through the terminal? it would be a little bit easier than to go through the network manager at least

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Look in Deluge -> Preferences -> Network/Bandwidth and reduce the maximum number of connections to something that your modem/router can handle. In my case, 75 seems to the optimal number. You might have to experiment a bit on this to find out what is optimal for you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
    Look in Deluge -> Preferences -> Network/Bandwidth and reduce the maximum number of connections to something that your modem/router can handle. In my case, 75 seems to the optimal number. You might have to experiment a bit on this to find out what is optimal for you.
    I've tried that in Kubuntu 8.10 when I tried that one out, didn't help any but I'll give it a shot in ubuntu too. and I have NO router or switches

Beans

it did no good, I set max connections to 50 and still the connection died. Anyone have any idea where to start looking?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have been having problems with Deluge slowing my internet usage on another machine. Seems to be more than before. I have been thinking it is the number of connections but sometimes with few connections it is still slow. I have started to turn Deluge off when I want faster speed with something important. I guess we should try another client to see if this is indeed a problem with Deluge or the router. I tend to think the router.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast