Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: [SOLVED] Trying to install ndiswrapper...What am I doing wrong?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London
    Beans
    108
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    [SOLVED] Trying to install ndiswrapper...What am I doing wrong?

    System>Administration>Hardware did not detect my Wifi (it did before so I dont know why not now but....!) Anyway its the infamous BC4318 card.

    So I'm trying the ndiswrapper rout in Terminal and following the guide
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...eisty_No-Fluff

    In step 1 I'm getting the error about not finding it:

    mbdb@M2000:~$ sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
    mbdb@M2000:~$

    Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

    Thanks!
    Mariane

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Buckeye country
    Beans
    1,079
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Trying to install ndiswrapper...What am I doing wrong?

    to install ndiswrapper, go to system->administration->synaptic package manager and install ndisgtk. after that, you'll have a new menu option of system->administration->windows wireless drivers. you just point to the correct .inf file for your wireless card and reboot, done.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London
    Beans
    108
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Trying to install ndiswrapper...What am I doing wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by timcredible View Post
    to install ndiswrapper, go to system->administration->synaptic package manager and install ndisgtk. after that, you'll have a new menu option of system->administration->windows wireless drivers. you just point to the correct .inf file for your wireless card and reboot, done.
    uhm...?? where is ndisgtk? I cant see it in there anywhere!
    I'm running Hardy BTW
    Thanks
    Mariane

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Opelika, AL
    Beans
    998
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Trying to install ndiswrapper...What am I doing wrong?

    It's under the networking category...or you could just enter ndisgtk with the search function.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Trying to install ndiswrapper...What am I doing wrong?

    If you don't have a working internet connection, you will need to use your liveCD to add the packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-cdrom add
    Add the CD when asked then:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ndiswraper-utils-1.9
    I think that ndisgtk is also on the CD too.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London
    Beans
    108
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Trying to install ndiswrapper...What am I doing wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by spcwingo View Post
    It's under the networking category...or you could just enter ndisgtk with the search function.
    Hmmm....strange? it's definately not there! I looked under "ALL" and scrolled down the list and tried search too. Could this be why I got the error in Terminal?

    mbdb@M2000:~$ sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
    mbdb@M2000:~$

    In which case is there another way I can get fwcutter or ndiswrapper?
    Mariane

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London
    Beans
    108
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Trying to install ndiswrapper...What am I doing wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    If you don't have a working internet connection, you will need to use your liveCD to add the packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-cdrom add
    Add the CD when asked then:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ndiswraper-utils-1.9
    I think that ndisgtk is also on the CD too.
    OK Thanks! I do have a working wired connection right now as well as the CD. I'll try that. Actually since I have the ethernet cable hooked up right now that might be the best way to go
    Mariane

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London
    Beans
    108
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Trying to install ndiswrapper...What am I doing wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    If you don't have a working internet connection, you will need to use your liveCD to add the packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-cdrom add
    Add the CD when asked then:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ndiswraper-utils-1.9
    I think that ndisgtk is also on the CD too.
    OK that was sucessfull!

    Maybe you could explain this to me? I installed ndiswrapper off the liveCD as you sugested. Then I rebooted. After that just out of curiousity I went to system>administration>hardwaredrivers and it had detected my bc4318 wireless card (it had not before) I clicked on enable and installed B43 FWcuter just like that. Now the works fine. Was ndiswrapper necessary in order for it to detect my wireless card?

    Thanks for your help
    Mariane

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Trying to install ndiswrapper...What am I doing wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by mariane_08 View Post
    OK that was sucessfull!

    Maybe you could explain this to me? I installed ndiswrapper off the liveCD as you sugested. Then I rebooted. After that just out of curiousity I went to system>administration>hardwaredrivers and it had detected my bc4318 wireless card (it had not before) I clicked on enable and installed B43 FWcuter just like that. Now the works fine. Was ndiswrapper necessary in order for it to detect my wireless card?

    Thanks for your help
    I am not for sure if that is what fixed it, but there is a bug with Hardware Drivers where it will not initally identify your wireless card.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •