Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Magic jack!!!

Beans

Running Magic jack!!!

Hi Guys,
    I was interested in running MagicJack(VOIP) on Ubuntu...i tried finding for answers...but the reply was it is not supported on linux....if anybody has successfully installed it...plz help me out with it.
    Regards,
    Suhas
    Last edited by suhasdude; January 1st, 2009 at 08:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Talking Re: Running Magic jack!!!

For anyone who's interested, although they don't have a specific date yet, I spoke with MagicJack day before yesterday, and they are in the process of developing a Linux driver as we speak. They said that it will be out sometime this year.
    Mark in Cincinnati
    "It's great to be free from Windows XP!!!"

Beans

Re: Running Magic jack!!!

What's their phone number? So more of us can call.

It all has to do with supply and demand and most people think there's not enough demand for Linux users. If more people called or show they want it if there's Linux support than they would sell more and have the drivers for Linux.

I have a question on what I really would like to know. I am curious if they release a linux driver, would or could you use that driver on a router that is flashed with dd-wrt?
    Because I have a router that has a usb port and I would love to not have to turn on my computer to use magic jack and just put it in the router. When I'm traveling, it's nice to just put magic jack in my pocket and go on a trip and plug it into a laptop running ubuntu.

Beans

would loveto get my majic jack on m ununtu....I'm getting tired fo running windows just to use my phone.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Definitely call or write and let MagicJack know that you're interested in a Linux version. As I always say, it's up to us to let companies know that there's a market for Linux stuff!

Beans

Talking Re: Running Magic jack!!!

Ubuntu Hardy

tried virtual box= no success

Vmware with a striped down XP worked without and modifications.

one xp was installed I inserted the magic jack and a few windows came up telling me it would stop linux from using the " usb drive" and allowed xp to see the Magic Jack ran the MJ install and was using a cordless plugged in the MJ with no problems. I keep vmware minimized on on of my desktops and use my phone all day long.

,Dave IMG

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bone2006 View Post
    I have a question on what I really would like to know. I am curious if they release a linux driver, would or could you use that driver on a router that is flashed with dd-wrt?
    Because I have a router that has a usb port and I would love to not have to turn on my computer to use magic jack and just put it in the router. When I'm traveling, it's nice to just put magic jack in my pocket and go on a trip and plug it into a laptop running ubuntu.
    MagicJack will most likely not be able to run directly plugged into the router because of the processing it requires. While it has "low system overhead" because it requires low bandwidth from the data connection, it uses a pretty decent amount of processing power.

At current, the MagicJack device cannot even plug into a USB Hub because of this exact same reason. If another device attached to the hub were to suddenly demand too large of a portion of the bandwidth for the hub, it would cause problems with the functioning of the device. While it is "booting up," the device checks to make sure it has it's own dedicated USB connection to the south bridge to avoid this exact sort of issue.

I forced the device to pass this step and boot regardless of having a dedicated connection or not, and sure enough after a data transfer from a hard drive also connected to the Hub during a phonecall, the device froze up, or shut down, but just stopped working. I had to reflash the device and lost all the contacts and other data saved within it.

Another neat little trick I tried that has worked, is that if you are experiencing low sound or overall call quality, you can open up the task manager, right click on the "magicjack.exe" process and increase the priority of the process. Also "COICmanager.exe" will help as well. When they're both on high priority I've had nothing but perfect call quality, no drops, great sound etc etc.

As far as getting it working in Linux goes, I've been SOL as well. The closest I've come was with VirtualBox, but still couldn't make calls. The device was recognized after I added my virtual xp machine to the usb group. I can browse and find the autorun app, but I cannot get it to start all the way. It displays the "one minute of patience" or whatever message and when it changes it disappears.

C'mon Dan! (Dan Borislow, magicjack maker) You can do it! Save us the messing about!

Beans

I know it isn't the same product, but I use Voipo for voip service. It's cheap, I haven't had any problems (except that tomato needs to be finessed for some reason) and it runs independent of the computer. Most of the time, if something doesn't play nice with linux I just look for something else. Maybe majicjack has something special that I am missing though. I've never tried it.
    Forum Do's and Don'ts -- Please familiarize yourself with these!!
    Do not give login-as-root instructions. Here is the policy
    This Ubuntu better not be dacaf!

Beans

Quoted from:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/magicjack-...g-in-2009-2010

Linux compatibility: Mac and PC users have been using magicJack for some time now, but Linux has been left out in the cold–but not much longer. According to Borislow, Linux compatibility should be available “3rd quarter of this year.” This addition will be available to both current and new magicJacks.

Looks like things may be looking up.

Regards, Jim

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast