Thread: Installing Kubuntu on a Primary Slave

Beans

Installing Kubuntu on a Primary Slave

I'm quite new to the world of Linux. Last year I installed Kubuntu on my PC, by partitioning my hard-drive, and had no problems (other than with Partition Magic, but that was easy enough to solve). Then, a couple of months later, by no fault of Linux (it was my horrible attempt at overclocking) my PC broke and I was forced to format it. I never found the time to reinstall Linux. Now, I would like to install Kubuntu once again, only now I have an 8GB slave which I would like to install it to. My first question is, is this possible/safe to do without disconnecting my Windows harddrive? My second question is, where do I install GRUB (if I need to install that at all)? I've heard I could just use F11 at the boot screen and either choose to boot from slave (Kubuntu) or leave it to boot master (XP). My final question, which I suppose goes without saying is, how would I do this? Just stick the live CD in and look around? If I do install GRUB, I've heard I need to change the menu.lst file (I've done this before when I move Windows to the top of the list so Windows would be automatically if nothing was chosen). I heard this from google, but could find no definitive instructions of what to change it to/how to install Kubuntu on the slave, etc.
    Thanks in advance for the help,
    XP105
    EDIT: Another question. What format should my slave be? NTFS or FAT?
    Last edited by XP105; January 1st, 2009 at 05:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Installing Kubuntu on a Primary Slave

Just boot from the Ubuntu live CD and in most cases choose default. One thing where you MUST not choose default, is the disk partitioning: there you should choose the primary slave drive by choosing the manual partition.

Partition type, GRUB installation and menu.lst will then be OK.

HTH

Beans

Thanks for the help. So it's basically the same appart from choosing the partition to be a drive? Does GRUB get installed on the slave then? Once again, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by XP105 View Post
    Thanks for the help. So it's basically the same appart from choosing the partition to be a drive? Does GRUB get installed on the slave then? Once again, thanks.
    Yes (choose the correct disk) and No (Grub goes onto the MBR of the first disk, AFAIK).