Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scientific/Engineering Software?

Beans

Scientific/Engineering Software?

Just found out about Code-Aster and Salome. Has anyone successfully installed this on an Ubuntu box? Anybody think they can make a .dpkg?

While I'm at it, perhaps I should open the thread for other suggestions for scientific/engineering software?

Beans

Re: Scientific/Engineering Software?

Obviously depends on what flavor of science/engineering you're doing (I'm an aero eng. grad student). Most of what I've been doing lately is working with F77 programs for school, so I use Kate to edit source and g77 to compile. Octave is nice to have laying around as a matlab surrogate. Labplot looks like an ok plotting package, but I haven't really played with it. Likewise, QCad looks like a decent 2D cad package, but again I haven't used it much. Looking forward to see what else anyone has found!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you know about good Scientific/Engineering software you can add it to the wiki

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuScientists

Beans

I'm not familiar with many specific packages, but there are whole distros devoted to mathematical packages. Check this out:

http://www.livecdlist.com/

Select the "LiveCDs with a function of..." drop down list to see distros focused on different subjects.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ekarni
    Obviously depends on what flavor of science/engineering you're doing (I'm an aero eng. grad student). Most of what I've been doing lately is working with F77 programs for school, so I use Kate to edit source and g77 to compile. Octave is nice to have laying around as a matlab surrogate. Labplot looks like an ok plotting package, but I haven't really played with it. Likewise, QCad looks like a decent 2D cad package, but again I haven't used it much. Looking forward to see what else anyone has found!
    Well, I'm and aero engineer and I use Octave routinely, usually as an inferior session inside of XEmacs/Emacs. That's a great little math package.

F77....wow....I used that (through VI on a VAX system) back when I was an undergrad about {mumble mumble} years ago.

amazing.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

For open sourced Geographical Information System, the king, GRASS GIS:

http://grass.itc.it/

Used in many government and private sector companies worldwide for a multitude of scientific applications and analysis.
    Registered Linux User #402664 | Ubuntu User #9279
    You can help put an end to Word attachments

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

my 2 cents:

fluid dynamicist with lots of CFD. Lately I took a liking to OpenFoam which you can find at www.openfoam.org

it's state of the art and in fact more advanced than several leading proprietary CFD codes out there, not pointing any fingers... it also has several very interesting solvers in it. installs easily as the provided binaries are fully compatible with ubuntu.

jmooney,

I saw your thread at the salome website. I am trying to install salome as well but haven't succeeded yet. If you want a decent FEA solver try as well Calculix. I have aster installed. Did it the easy way by just installing the binaries no hurdles there... I'll keep you posted with the salome thing. Hopefully it should be fixed in a few days.

Z.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Scientific/Engineering Software? (Salome+CodeAster)

Hi,

I have installed Code_Aster 8.2.0-4 in Breezy (by compiling from full sources) , with little or no issues.

However, my attempts at installing Salome-2.2.8 have been unsuccessful. I was able install both on a RH FC3 machine successfully. Has anybody accomplished installing Salome in Breezy? If so could you post some notes (or lessons learnt) here, please?

Thanks
    JMB

Quote Originally Posted by ziad
    my 2 cents:

fluid dynamicist with lots of CFD. Lately I took a liking to OpenFoam which you can find at www.openfoam.org

it's state of the art and in fact more advanced than several leading proprietary CFD codes out there, not pointing any fingers... it also has several very interesting solvers in it. installs easily as the provided binaries are fully compatible with ubuntu.

jmooney,

I saw your thread at the salome website. I am trying to install salome as well but haven't succeeded yet. If you want a decent FEA solver try as well Calculix. I have aster installed. Did it the easy way by just installing the binaries no hurdles there... I'll keep you posted with the salome thing. Hopefully it should be fixed in a few days.

Z.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Scientific/Engineering Software?

Hi,

I have installed Code_Aster 8.2.0-4 in Breezy (by compiling from full sources) , with little or no issues. It was amazingly simple. If you want some notes on how I did it, here they are:

# su -
    (I am not sure that it will work as any ordinary user, but you are welcome to try)
    # mkdir ~/somedirectoy
    # cd ~/somedirectory
    # wget -nd http://www.code-aster.org/FICHIERS/a...8.2.0-4.tar.gz
    # gunzip -cd /home/LinuxDownLoads/FEA/aster-full-src-8.2.0-4.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
    # cd aster-src-8.2.0
    # python setup.py test
    # apt-get install nedit flex bison python-dev lapack3-dev (along with recommended packages)
    # python setup.py install (Runs for a long time, be patient!)
    # cd /opt/aster/STA8.2
    # /opt/aster/ASTK/ASTK_SERV/bin/as_run forma01a.export (Test the code)

Get the command files, etc. for code_aster from:
    http://www.code-aster.org/forum/down...helpers.tar.gz
    # cd /opt
    # gunzip -cd /home/LinuxDownLoads/FEA/salome/helpers.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
    /opt/helpers/CreateJob.py
    (Is the program to create a new ASTK job. It is the equivalent to clicking "New FE Analysis" icon mentioned in IntroductionTutorial1.pdf)
    One may create a desktop shortcut pointing to this python script.
    The *.comm files mentioned in that tutorial are in /opt/helpers/Templates

ASTK: tool to set the analysis parameters; analysis directory, command and results files, amount of memory:
    # /opt/aster/ASTK/ASTK_CLIENT/bin/astk

EFICAS: very useful tool to write the command file:
    # /opt/aster/outils/eficas

All jobs are "PENDing" - click on the "Actualiser" Button to submit them!
    Cannot see the error or output files via "nedit"
    Astk uses a remote display to edit / view in interactive mode the computation
    files. If you can not edit the error or output file maybe your system is not
    configured for it :

in a console try
    # nedit -display localhost:0.0
    If you don't see any nedit window : it means that your system is not
    configured to display remote windows. Try
    # xhost +
    if it still doesn't work you must edit the file : /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and
    set the option "disallowTCP" to "false". Then Reboot the PC

After you should be able to edit the output or error files.
    "nedit -display localhost:0.0" now works, but not for ASTK
    in case it doesn't work you can view the output file on your own :
    # less ~/flasheur/"job_name".o"job_number" for output file
    if you want to see it updated during the computation :
    # tail -f ~/flasheur/"job_name".o"job_number"

If jobs do not run via ASTK, the work around is:
    ~/flasheur/piston1.uXXXXX (Execute this script manually)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NOTE: Please try these procedures at your own risk or on a test PC. They worked for me, but may not (or even destroy data) for you!

However, my attempts at installing Salome-2.2.8 have been unsuccessful. I was able install both on a RH FC3 machine successfully. Will be glad to hear the experience of others in this forum!

However as of now, there is a compatibilty problem between the HDF & MED libraries used in Salome v/s Code_Aster, such that result files written by Code_Aster (Ver 8.2.0-4) are unreadable in Salome (Ver 2.2.8)! I have not overcome that problem yet. My interim solution has been to run the Code-Aster solver in a CAELinux LiveCD enabled machine & transferring the result files into my RH FC3 machine. Joel CUGNONI (author of CAELinux LiveCD, I believe) mentioned using the HFD & MED libraries of Code_Aster when recompiling Salome, but I have not figured that out yet. Hopefully somebody from the Code_Aster forums can guide / help me with that.

Good Luck,
    JMB

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney
    Just found out about Code-Aster and Salome. Has anyone successfully installed this on an Ubuntu box? Anybody think they can make a .dpkg?

While I'm at it, perhaps I should open the thread for other suggestions for scientific/engineering software?

Beans

fluent.....

Hello...
    I need instructions to install and to run Fluent 6.2 in Ubuntu 6.06 for 64-bit(AMD Athlon).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast