Thread: AWN exits, not sure why

Beans

AWN exits, not sure why

Hey all,

I've been using Avant Window Navigator for a Dock-like experience and I've been having a little problem with it. It closes! I'm not sure when, or why...but sometimes I'll put my mouse near the bottom of the screen to make it appear and it's not there! I open a terminal and run top and the process is definitely not running.

I'd love to give more details on the problem, but I just don't have them. Is there some kind of command line tool I can use while running it to try and figure out what is making it exit.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: AWN exits, not sure why

The trouble with AWN is you have to have compiz enabled for it to work. I had a similar problem so I installed cairo-dock which I think is prettier and you dont need compiz. You do however need a working internet connection to download themes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What a way to spend new years eve hey? Here we are trying to recompile kernels and the like while all the others (mainly windo$e users) are celebrating!! .........just a thought...
    Last edited by duds2008; December 31st, 2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: attempt at new year humour..........geeks and bank holidays.....how do they spend them.....!! :)

Beans

I've got AWN working just fine, compiz is enabled...I love compiz.

But occasionally it is quitting, i'm not sure why. I think it may actually be that I'm pressing Alt-F4 while the focus is set to the dock instead of the window I think I'm looking at.

Is there anyway to make Alt-f4 NOT close a particular program?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You may be able to change something in /boot directory. config-2.6.24-something? Although this will mean recompiling your kernel.
    Last edited by duds2008; January 4th, 2009 at 11:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My AWN crashes a few moments after I drag something onto the waste bin applet (any of the several, it seems). That's since Intrepid.