Thread: Quick partition check, installing soon!

Beans

Quick partition check, installing soon!

Hi,

Just a quick check to see whether these partitions are OK before I install in a few minutes!

[img=http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8622/newpartitionsmt9.th.png]

So that's:
    40GB for Windows XP Home
    36GB for openSuSe and its applications
    13GB for the /home directory, which can also be read by Windows (formatted to FAT32)
    4GB swap

1. Does that sound OK?
    2. Can I specify that the /home directory will be installed to the 13GB partition later on in the install process?
    3. Does this allow me to upgrade in the future without losing my files?

Thanks a lot!

Beans

Re: Quick partition check, installing soon!

FAT for a /home is a BAD idea, sorry. It cannot correctly handle Unix file permissions. Stick with Ext3 and just download a Windows driver.
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans

[img=http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/6891/screenshotopensuse111gi1.th.png]

How does that look?

And I will check out that link, thanks a lot.

Beans

That looks good, but make sure to set the mountpoints before you install!

PS. Also, make sure your swap is at lease the size of your RAM.
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans

Is a mountpoint like where everything is going to go?

Please explain, as this is my first installation of anything other than Windows. At the moment, only the Swap partition has a mountpoint, all others have 'Mountpoint:'.

Thanks.

Beans

[img=http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6048/finalrp4.th.png]

I assume / means 'everything'? And if I mount one partition as /, and another as /home, does that mean that /home will be created on both, or only one of the partitions?

Thanks a lot, almost there

Edit: ignore the 'sdb's in the image, they are a 4GB USB drive (for the screenshots).
    Last edited by addylad; December 31st, 2008 at 07:34 PM.

Beans

That partition scheme is correct for what you want to do.
    And if I mount one partition as /, and another as /home, does that mean that /home will be created on both, or only one of the partitions?
    In linux, / is like C:\. It is the toppedy-top of the directory tree. But unlike Windows, any other volumes are mounted under that, so your /home partition is mounted at, well, /home, instead of D:\ or E:\, etc. If you don't absolutely require a /home partition, you can do away with that and have just simply /home directly on /. (I hope you know what I mean )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by damis648 View Post
    That partition scheme is correct for what you want to do.

In linux, / is like C:\. It is the toppedy-top of the directory tree. But unlike Windows, any other volumes are mounted under that, so your /home partition is mounted at, well, /home, instead of D:\ or E:\, etc. If you don't absolutely require a /home partition, you can do away with that and have just simply /home directly on /. (I hope you know what I mean )
    I think I do.

I'll go for that, thanks a lot!

Edit: if something is not mounted, does that mean nothing will be installed? I.e. the Windows partition is not mounted, so it cannot be overwritten?