Thread: VLC and multiverse.

Beans

VLC and multiverse.

Hi
    Running intrepid and am new to ubuntu.

I *think* I have added a multiverse in my reppositories and refreshed/reloaded.

However, my VLC is 0.9.4 and the repository reports the same yet 0.9.8a is out.

How can I update to 0.9.8a?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: VLC and multiverse.

Just because a newer version exists, doesn't automatically mean it will be in a repository. When a new product / update is released, it has to be packaged, tested, mirrored, etc before it appears in the official repos.

Beans

the reponsitories are not always completely updated, for various reasons (i.e. compatability, or maybe just not compiled yet.)

i'm on an updated system and the current version of vlc is .94 for ubuntu. if you want the newest version you can always complile from source, which may be worth ago just to learn a lil' more about linux if your new to it. however it's probably best just to wait as i'm sure theres not to much between the versions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

As said above.

But if you want the latest version, remove the old one and download/compile the source for the new one. If you're really lucky somebody might have already created a deb for you!
    Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!

Beans

Thanks for the replies.

I will wait - I was hoping it would sort out the issues Im having playing my media.

Windows Media player classic outshines VLC totally for playability but I dont want to return to windows

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

... what problems are you having playing media...? maybe we can help resolve them...
    'I know lifes a bummer baby, But thats got precious little to do with me' - Monster Magnet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jay300zx View Post
    I will wait - I was hoping it would sort out the issues Im having playing my media.
    What issues do you have?

Windows Media player classic outshines VLC totally for playability but I dont want to return to windows
    Will have to take your word on it, cause I haven't used that player for a long time. That said, I've never had any complains about VLC, perhaps just my own luck.

Beans

Cheers

Im trying between totem, GXine, and VLC

VLC keeps leaving blocks over video until something in that region moves. Also when I press right key to forward 10 seconds it doesnt always do it, it takes you back to the start or just doesnt seem very fast. Im aware there are key frames and sometimes it jumps back to them and pauses for a few seconds before playback starts. - Just seems slow.

GXINE seems to play most formats, but again not very well, You cant seek forward in certain formats again.... Sorry not too helpful that.

I also cant play MKV's - They are real jerky and slow.
    Its not a slow system Im on - Im running it on a 3.4GHZ Desktop with 4 GB of ram and also on a HP TX2050 Laptop with Nvideia 6150 with 2 GB Ram.

Media player classic seemed to work real fast with no corruption and perfect seeks - I have not yet got this working on eother linux system.

Thanks

Beans

Oh, and MPlayer wont play anything ......

Dragon Player will play Avi's perfectly - whereas VLC once seeked forward can pause for 10 seconds before playback resumes.

I may stick with dragon player if I can work out how to assign the right cursor to a hotkey for a 30 seconds jump.

Just realised Dragon Player keeps getting aspect ratios wrong - you have to manually select for each video - the automatic setting isnt working.
    Last edited by jay300zx; December 29th, 2008 at 03:45 PM.