Thread: Fedora Repository

Beans

Fedora Repository

Okay, really stinking easy question. I'm running the latest Fedora Cora on one of my computers. For some reason, only installed packages are appearing on my Synaptic Package Manager. The options I am used to using on my Ubuntu system are not present. How can I get SPM to show me all packages in the repo?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Fedora Repository

How did you get synaptic? Did you switch your repo's to apt4rpm repo's in the process? Also, Fedora Core is ancient, it is likely that the repo's are no longer online, or have moved. Try Fedora as a replacement now, version 10 is current.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    How did you get synaptic? Did you switch your repo's to apt4rpm repo's in the process? Also, Fedora Core is ancient, it is likely that the repo's are no longer online, or have moved. Try Fedora as a replacement now, version 10 is current.
    Hmm...i'm not a big fefora user, mostly Ubuntu and Debian. I'm using the latest version of Fedora period.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danmpem View Post
    Hmm...i'm not a big fefora user, mostly Ubuntu and Debian. I'm using the latest version of Fedora period.
    Ok, sorry... i read "latest" as "last". FWIW, Fedora Core ended at version 6. From 7 onward, it is known only as Fedora.

But on to your issues. Synaptic is not an application you can get on Fedora without some work. It also cannot use the default Fedora repo's.

Try opening a terminal and typing 'su -' to become root (password will be required), and the 'yum update' after that. Hopefully it will try to update a bunch of stuff. You can hit ctrl+c to cancel it, what matters more is if it sees anything to update.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    Ok, sorry... i read "latest" as "last". FWIW, Fedora Core ended at version 6. From 7 onward, it is known only as Fedora.

But on to your issues. Synaptic is not an application you can get on Fedora without some work. It also cannot use the default Fedora repo's.

Try opening a terminal and typing 'su -' to become root (password will be required), and the 'yum update' after that. Hopefully it will try to update a bunch of stuff. You can hit ctrl+c to cancel it, what matters more is if it sees anything to update.
    Yeah I don't remember if I installed SPM or if it came with Fedora, but I definitely know that if I installed it, it had to have been from the Fedora repo, because I didn't compile it. Is there any other package manager with a gui for fedora?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danmpem View Post
    Is there any other package manager with a gui for fedora?
    Fedora systems include a graphical interface to yum, which appears on the Main Menu under Applications > Add/Remove Software.
    Or you can install yumex and use that instead:
    Code:
    su -c 'yum install yumex'

Beans

Awesome. Thanks!