Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MUD and MUD Client for Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

MUD and MUD Client for Linux?

Hey everyone , I'm new to linux and also MUDs in general. I was just wondering if there are any popular MUD clients out there that work with linux (Ubuntu specifically) and if anyone could suggest a MUD to play. I am running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

I enjoy the the medieval ages setting in books , so any MUD with that sort of setting would be great. There are so many MUDs out there I am just not sure which one to commit my time to and was hoping some of you would have some advice. Thanks.

Beans

Re: MUD and MUD Client for Linux?

gMUD is the only client I know of, and it's not the best client in the market. Alot of games have their own Java clients you can use, though.

My favorite MUD: Materia Magica
    Not so fun, but one of the best Java clients: BatMUD

If your more into action Iron Realms make a lot of action-oriented MUDs. I'm into story/quests with some action mixed in, myself (such as the top 2 games).

I'm actually getting tired of this Medieval thing, though. If anyone knows of a good Steampunk MUD, let me know.
    Last edited by dannytatom; December 29th, 2008 at 07:07 PM.
    dnyy in IRC
    #! & ArchLinux
    Last.FM & Twitter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Best GTK mud client IMO: kildclient.sf.net

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the help everyone,

I think I'm going to try BatMUD and Materia Magic and see which I like more. Seeing as they both have java clients hopefully they will be decent ones.

Mudlet looks interesting , I'll look into that as a potential client to download.

Beans

Materia Magica's client isn't anything special, but BatMUD's is great.

http://www.bat.org/play/batclient

But their game isn't nearly as deep and their world is a lot smaller than Materia Magicas. So really, it depends on what you want more; Easier use or better story/gameplay.
    dnyy in IRC
    #! & ArchLinux
    Last.FM & Twitter

Beans
    Distro

I just made a character on Materia Magica and I'm liking the descriptions of the rooms and the way the world is written so far. I made a bard and am attempting to get through the introductory tutorial also known as a 'tour.'

Their java client is nice too ; it has a nice background and look to it. Better than staring at a black or white background IMHO. Easier on the eyes.
    Last edited by Carpentr; December 30th, 2008 at 02:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Welcome to MUDding, Carpentr! I've been in the MU* scene for several years, now, and there are all sorts. You have MUDs, MUSHes, MUXes and MOOs and even more different codebases, and each of those have a variety of themes to them. I almost exclusively play on Star Trek MUSHes, these days, though I do engage in the occasional MUD too.

A great place to find a relatively comprehensive listing of what's out there is the MUD Connector (www.mudconnect.com). You can search through the database by size, theme, category and more.

As for MU* clients, the best one I've found so far is Kildclient. It's available in the repositories. For Windows users (in case you dual boot), ZMud is supposedly the best but it's not free. SimpleMU is a great alternative to ZMud.

You get used to the black background! Most MU*s out there use ANSI colour, so when you're on one and you're getting black and white, ask around to find out how to turn colour on.

Hope this helps, and happy MU*ing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Kildclient/Kmuddy/Gnome-MUD are probably the best at this point. Mudlet would be once it's done

Beans
    Distro

Alright , I'll take a look at Kildclient as well.

Right now I'm going to continue trying Materia Magica. The MUD connector sure does have a large list of MUDs though in case I ever get bored.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast