Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon video on demand

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Amazon video on demand

I was checkin' in on amazon's video download service that was wondows only, and they now support mac os, why do I bring this up at a linux forum, well simply because I think this is a good indicator that they might eventually support linux as well. They already support linux for their mp3 download service and now that they have added mac os x to the list that means they are interested in os's other that windows so I am hoping that in the next few months their video service will be supported under linux.

Beans

Re: Amazon video on demand

Hey just fyi - this is a GREAT alternative to running Netflix in a VM. They have some free titles you can watch during the holidays and it worked just fine in firefox for me. I dunno if they have the same amount of titles.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The downloads are DRM protected as well, but I was able to get my one download into windows play in VLC or the W12 media player in W7 I forget which one though. The downloads also come with a caveat of Amazon removing access so any downloaded should be saved. I don't think you can burn these to a DVD either, so personally I would rather just buy the DVD it has generally been the same price as a download.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; December 23rd, 2009 at 06:34 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    The downloads are DRM protected as well, but I was able to get my one download into windows play in VLC or the W12 media player in W7 I forget which one though. The downloads also come with a caveat of Amazon removing access so any downloaded should be saved. I don't think you can burn these to a DVD either, so personally I would rather just buy the DVD it has generally been the same price as a download.
    Dude, I'm not trying to circumvent anything or break anyone's copyright. It's $10/mo - it's not going to set me back much! LoL just leave them as they are and don't burn anything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by strAlan View Post
    Dude, I'm not trying to circumvent anything or break anyone's copyright. It's $10/mo - it's not going to set me back much! LoL just leave them as they are and don't burn anything
    Did I say you were trying to circumvent anything? I was only commenting on my experience.

Edit: I didn't realize I had hit the quote button, I wasn't meant to be directed at your comments.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; December 23rd, 2009 at 06:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Amazon's MP3 service only supports Ubuntu 32-bit, and their video download service is probably only cross-platform because they use a DRM provider that supports the Mac OS.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Amazon's MP3 service only supports Ubuntu 32-bit, and their video download service is probably only cross-platform because they use a DRM provider that supports the Mac OS.
    That is absolute BS - I use 64-bit and it works just fine for me, both their video AND mp3!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by strAlan View Post
    That is absolute BS - I use 64-bit and it works just fine for me, both their video AND mp3!!
    Linux Mint Helena x64 (based on Ubuntu Karmic) fresh install: when trying to do VOD using Firefox the Amazon VOD screen just says "loading" with the moving dots forever.

So, I'd like to know how you got this to work 'cuz it sure doesn't for me.

Beans
    Hidden!

works fine, I just tried a free movie

I had to run a bazillion commands in terminal to get it show something
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Doesn't work for me. I'm using Karmic 64-bit with the latest 64-bit flash player (10.0 r42)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast