Thread: A Netbook for Mommy and Me!

Beans

A Netbook for Mommy and Me!

Hi,

Currently im in the market for a netbook, i just want something cool and portable instead of lugging around my philips x72 laptop.
    Currently i was looking at the Samsung NC10 netbook. Very impressed with the reviews and i look forward to going back to xp for a while, atleast until i get my fav distro on there to share my netbook with xp .

At the same time i am looking for a laptop for my mother, she said her budget will not go above £400. So i thought ok, a netbook might be the better choice for her, not because of money, but because of usuability. She will be a less than casual user, doesnt have the first clue for technology.
    I was looking at the Acer aspire one, its £175 - linux lite - 512mb ram, 8gb SSD & 10inch screen, plus the keyboard is fine so it wont be too awkward.

I have two concerns. One is that i know linux can be strange to use for someone hopping over from windows but for a first timer on any OS, is linux lite as User Friendly as people make it out to be? I have tried it before and the UI is very nice and clean compared to XP.
    All she wants it for is browsing, emailing and storing pictures (not alot hence no need for big HD) theres always external storage if needs be.

My second concern is the fact my mother says the screen is too small and her eye sight is bad enough.

I just want to be sure that linux lite has, or can have accessibility features windows has like magnifier etc.

We are going to try one out tomorrow and i just want these facts cleared up before i start

Thanks

pmq

Beans

Re: A Netbook for Mommy and Me!

Well, it's about as hard as learning to use a cell phone for the first time. You're a bit cautious at first, but after a while it becomes second nature.

Second question. Yes, you can magnify the display on Linux

I don't know if it's a good choice though. It's VERY small and her eyesight won't get any better with age. Since you have £400 to work with, why not get her something nice with a good 15,4 inch display?
    Pacman so silly