Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Download Manager with specific functions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Looking for a Download Manager with specific functions

I've looked in so many places for a good download manager I'm going crazy.

Also, I've downloaded these managers but none of them have all the things I'm looking for:

So below is a list of what I'm after and I'm hoping that you know of an application that does them all:
    • The option to download using multiple chunks
    • To always be open, ready to accept new downloads
    • When open, it must have the ability to reside on the panel as just an icon instead of a minimized window
    • The ability to set a master/global download schedule (I need it to do its downloads between 4am and 9am)
    • The ability to download from a podcast/RSS feed (eg D4X kept giving an error when trying to download an m4v file from a feed)

And on the wish-list (therefore not essential) would be:
    • The ability to download torrents
    • The ability to set different schedules for different times of day
    • Browser integration (FlashGot may be the solution here)

Now, you may be thinking that the above ones I've tried, and others you're probably thinking of, do what I'm asking, but please consider the following:
    • I've tried running, for example, gwget as a cron job (to open at 4am and to close at 9am) but the problem here is that it's not always open. I do not want to have to open and close it every time I add a download to the list. If I left it open it was performing the downloads.
    • Some of the above apps would allow me to set the schedule but it was per download, which is a pain when the download schedule will always be the same.
    • It mustn't be browser dependent (like DownThemAll) as I like to restart my browser without affecting my download manager or having to revisit it to restart downloads.
    • Preferably not a KDE solution as I'm concerned with loading all the other KDE files just to run this one app.

In my travels I've visited these links - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/3828/ and http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/2243 - so I'm aware that what I'm looking for may not be available at the time of writing, but I figured there's no harm in asking.

NB: May I request that if you're going to suggest a solution that it at least meets my "what I'm after" list above, thank you.
    Last edited by malleeblue; December 28th, 2008 at 02:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Looking for a Download Manager with specific functions

Giving it a bump, still keen for some suggestions, thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Do you know of anything that can do this in Windows, because Wine may be your saviour on this one.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scratman View Post
    Do you know of anything that can do this in Windows, because Wine may be your saviour on this one.
    scratman, if I find a Windows application that does what I'm after, will I also have things like browser integration or do I lose some of the features because it's running in the wine environ rather than in the Ubuntu environ.

This aside though, it's surprising how difficult it is to find a download manager for Ubuntu with these fairly basic and standard features.

Beans
    Distro

Any of these come close to what you're after?

http://www.pctipsbox.com/top-10-down...ble-in-ubuntu/

Failing that, if there is an open source piece of software anywhere on the net what does what you like, you couls compile it yourself, and then post a link to it on here in case anybody else is interested.
    Last edited by scratman; January 3rd, 2009 at 03:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Any of these come close to what you're after?

http://www.pctipsbox.com/top-10-down...ble-in-ubuntu/
    Thanks for the link scratman, I've busy testing them and yep, some of them come very close, but I'm being fussy. Although close is good, I'm really looking for something right on target. Now I hope I didn't misunderstand some of the apps I tested and as a result post the wrong info. If anyone reading this is an expert in one of these, and my results are wrong, I'd be grateful if you'd let us all know. Anyway, here's how they stacked up against the criteria in my original post:

Wget & Gwget
    • No scheduling
    • Can't be left open to have downloads added to it without actioning downloads in its list

Curl
    • No scheduling
    • Command line, therefore adding downloads is not easy enough. I prefer a capture from clipboard, like with d4x and Multiget.

Axel
    • No scheduling

Wxdownloadfast

Multiget
    • No scheduling

aria2
    • No scheduling
    • GUIs like aria2fe are helpful, but still no scheduling

Downloader for X (d4x)
    • If you change the default download folder it doesn't remember the change
    • The slowest download speed is 100bytes/sec. This is acceptable but having no download action until my off-peak time would be better. If I close the app then I'll get zero download (naturally) but as I regularly add stuff to my download list the perfect app will be able to stay open all the time.
    • I'm unable to get it to download an m4v file from a podcast. When I add the m4v file to the list d4x immediately flags it as complete but nothing's been downloaded.

KDE KGET
    • It's KDE, so I've not installed it (see original post re KDE solutions)

Desktop Data Manager
    • Doesn't work for me in Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex).

Jigdo
    • No scheduling
    • Command line, therefore adding downloads is not easy enough. I prefer a capture from clipboard, like with d4x and Multiget.

Aria
    • No scheduling

DownThemAll! (DTA) and FlashGot
    • DTA - no scheduling
    • FlashGot is more of a go-between app, not a downloader in itself
    • Both are browser dependent

Failing that, if there is an open source piece of software anywhere on the net that does what you like, you could compile it yourself, and then post a link to it on here in case anybody else is interested.
    I hope I can find something soon. If I do I'll read up on compiling and make it happen. Seems the problem will be finding something totally suitable.
    Last edited by malleeblue; January 10th, 2009 at 08:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I just installed Kget, it's a 10mb download, so it looks like it doesn't install a full kde layer. Even if it does, could you not cope with that? Failing that, can't you compile Kget? Or install one of the other solutions and then a piece of scheduling software, there's several in the repos?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Use cron or anacron for scheduling.

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Looking for a Download Manager with specific functions

I just installed Kget, it's a 10mb download, so it looks like it doesn't install a full kde layer. Even if it does, could you not cope with that?
    I considered that, for the sake of possibly finding my download heaven, I could cope with it and so, 44mb later, it's installed. Alas though, ver 2.1.3 doesn't do scheduling (I'm surprised you recommended it actually).

...install one of the other solutions and then a piece of scheduling software...?
    To use other scheduling software, KGet would need to be closed and then opened as part of the scheduling task. As you know, one of my criteria is that the app can "always be open, ready to accept new downloads". Problem with KGet is the same as with Wget & Gwget - the app can't be left open to have downloads added to it without actioning downloads in its list (unless I manually pause them and that's a hassle, not to mention that they'd need to be manually restarted, and I'm not up at 4am ...... usually).

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Use cron or anacron for scheduling.
    I've tried cron jobs (see original post) but as mentioned just above to scratman, I need the app to be open so that I can add downloads to it during the day, and not have it start those downloads until 4am the next morning.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    So folks, any other suggestions, I'm all ears and keen to try anything?

Beans
    Distro

I'll be honest, I didn't really test the software fully, so I apologise, I didn't realise that there is no scheduler. However, you could have it load on startup, and then set a scheduler to do the following steps;-

03:59

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast