Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RTL8111/RTL8168 Network Connection Fix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Lightbulb Re: RTL8111/RTL8168 Network Connection Fix

Hello to all, I recently purchased an Intel d945gclf2 which I was using as a ZFS samba server and to test Kubuntu. Until recently, I was having the same problem as all of you. In order to get everything working, I had to use "sudo su" to become root instead of just using sudo to make the module. And to those of you who were saying the r8169 driver works, you are right, but when I try to do file transfers over my GigE network, the nic stops functioning. With the r8168, it hasn't given me a problem yet.

Summary of what I had to do that is not listed on the first post: Install additional packages from repos as listed here, and use "sudo su" to build the module.

Beans

Re: RTL8111/RTL8168 Network Connection Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Max Spain View Post
    In order to get everything working, I had to use "sudo su" to become root instead of just using sudo to make the module.
    THANK YOU MAX SPAIN!!!

I spent my entire afternoon trying to get this to work, and as soon as I ran the make commands under sudo su it worked flawlessly!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Ok, so Realtek finally got around to updating their driver so that it works with recent kernels =D>. I have been waiting for this since 9.10 was released. I also seem to have figured out a quicker way to get the r8168 module installed. It seems that after the source has been extracted, you can just run the "autorun.sh" file in the r8168-* directory, followed by "dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`" where uname -r is the output of the command uname -r which tells you which kernel version you have installed. The first script builds, inserts, and blacklists the appropriate module, although it doesn't blacklist in a .conf file, and the second script handles the initramfs business.

Summary: run the autorun.sh file in the source provided by Realtek, then do dpkg-reconfigure on your kernel and you should be all set.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Is there any chance of getting the new driver integrated into 10.04?
    It would be nice since it's an LTS release.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Same question here. Any hope for the 10.04 release? I am seeing the same issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by dillzz View Post
    Same question here. Any hope for the 10.04 release? I am seeing the same issues.
    Just for the record, I'm not seeing any issues with my D945GCLF2D. I simply wish to use the latest available OEM driver.

Looking at the changesets over at kernel.org, r8168 support was rolled into the r8169 driver at the kernel level, so I'm not sure Ubuntu will ever make a change here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Max Spain View Post
    Ok, so Realtek finally got around to updating their driver so that it works with recent kernels =D>. I have been waiting for this since 9.10 was released. I also seem to have figured out a quicker way to get the r8168 module installed. It seems that after the source has been extracted, you can just run the "autorun.sh" file in the r8168-* directory, followed by "dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`" where uname -r is the output of the command uname -r which tells you which kernel version you have installed. The first script builds, inserts, and blacklists the appropriate module, although it doesn't blacklist in a .conf file, and the second script handles the initramfs business.

Summary: run the autorun.sh file in the source provided by Realtek, then do dpkg-reconfigure on your kernel and you should be all set.
    Thanks, worked great. My Vista to samba share writes are twice as fast, but my reads are still excruciatingly slow. Probably a Vista problem, who knows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am seeing this issue with Lucid Desktop 64 bit on a Gigabyte P55A-UD5 dual LAN MB.

mii-tool says "Link OK", but I don't get an IP address using DHCP.

Beans

Also getting a Realtek 8111 related error with Ubuntu 10.04 x64 (Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2). I keep on getting disconnected, and my onboard networking stops working in Windows 7 after exiting Ubuntu, then booting into Windows.

As an interim fix, I've switched to an Intel Network card, until a reliable solution can be found.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My problem was due to a bad DHCP server. May still be having slow xfers for a GigE adapter.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast