Thread: onboard-video vs old agp card

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

onboard-video vs old agp card

Hey all!
    I'm about to upgrade my computer, I plan to buy a pretty good video card but not yet (money issues)

So I'm wondering.. would a new motherboard's on-board video compare to my 4 years old agp nVidia FX5200 128mb?

I'm probably gonna go with an Asus motherboard, and later on add a pci-e nVidia card. If i can get the same video performance with the on-board, then I can start upgrading right away, otherwise I'll wait until I have enough money to buy everything at once.

My upgrade would be a good Asus motherboard, 4gb of ram, intel i7 quad-core (probably near the ~2.9 ghz)

I don't do alot of gaming, but I do play FFXI and SecondLife every now and then. (Though it seems secondlife puts alot more weight on my cpu than my graphic card)

thanks in advance, if anyone replies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: onboard-video vs old agp card

new as in the motherboards that have amd's hd3200 or nvidias 8200? yes, onboard would be significantly better

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

most likely. you'll know for certain once you look at the specs of the motherboard before you buy it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lightstar View Post
    My upgrade would be a good Asus motherboard,
    We need to know the specs of the mother board you intend buying before we can offer you any advice. Make & model# would be usefull or a link.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Eh I don't really know the specs nor models. I haven't decided which motherboard I'd buy (and more will come out by the time I buy it). It was just a general question about the average new motherboards vs my old graphic card.

Judging from the answers I guess not all current on-board video is better than my GeForce FX52000. Maybe I'll head toward something with integrated nvidia 8200+ like bufsabre666 said. That was a general answer to my general question, thanks.