Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Overheating?

Beans

Computer Overheating?

Alright, for Christmas I got this HD4850 () and it's just great. I've got catalyst and catalyst-utils both at v8.12 in Arch Linux. On Windows I have the latest Catalyst drivers and the Catalyst Control Center. The weird thing is that my computer shut down suddenly while I was playing Nexuiz (at max settings, always over 60fps, no matter what) just a little bit earlier. Yesterday it did the same thing, but I was playing Battlefield 2 in Windows. I noticed that the air coming out of the back fan was pretty warm. Could it be overheating? Are there any other things that would cause these symptoms?

If it is overheating, should I just get some better fans or what? As of now, I have the two stock fans that the case came with, one intake on the side and one exhaust on the back. I also have a Cooler Master Hyper TX2 on my CPU and the heatsink-fan on my new HD4850. There is room for one more fan in the front area of the case. My current plan is to buy 3 Yate Loons (they come well-recommended from a friend of mine) and have the front fan intake, with the back two fans being exhaust. This way I can get negative pressure, which I hear is good for temperatures. How does this plan sound?
    archlinux \\ amd+ati \\ subtle \\ website

Beans

Re: Computer Overheating?

If you are over-clocking it I would bring it back to standard clock speed.

Do the Catalyst drivers give you any information on the cards temperature, or any controls to keep it from over heating?

Does the card take power directly from the PSU, is your PSU powerful enough for your machine now that it has this card?

Beans

What does the cabling inside your case look like (a picture would be nice)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    If you are over-clocking it I would bring it back to standard clock speed.

Do the Catalyst drivers give you any information on the cards temperature, or any controls to keep it from over heating?

Does the card take power directly from the PSU, is your PSU powerful enough for your machine now that it has this card?
    - I'm not overclocking it, but I brought my CPU back to normal speed.
    - On Windows they do, but not so here in Linux
    - It takes power via a 6 pin PCIe plug. I have a Corsair 650TX, which should be powerful enough. If It's not I'm going to be uber-mad, I just got this thing.

Click to enlarge thumbnails of my PC's insides. Sorry they're so grainy, I hope they're good enough to be able to make out details. The red wire that is out on the bottom of the case leads to the fan that is on the side of the case.

Beans

1stly, Do you have lm-sensors installed, and if so what does it tell you? What model of CPU are you running? An AMD 125W CPU like mine (see sig) has a max temp of only 65C.

2ndly, what is the ambient temp in your room where your machine is?

3rdly, nothing bothers me more than untidy cables gangling everywhere-hint hint hint.

4thly, I'd definitely invest in either more fans or a better case-id this is overheating. My LianLi came with 2X120mm fans, and 2X80mm fans-stock....in addition to my graphics card having it's own ducted exhaust.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    1stly, Do you have lm-sensors installed, and if so what does it tell you? What model of CPU are you running?
    2ndly, what is the ambient temp in your room where your machine is?
    3rdly, nothing bothers me more than untidy cables gangling everywhere-hint hint hint.
    4thly, I'd definitely invest in either more fans or a better case-id this is overheating.
    1. Yes I do. I've got an AMD 64 X2 5000+ that's running at about 30 degrees Celsius.
    2. Not too sure, but the thermostat in a nearby hall says 64 degrees Fahrenheit, which is about 17 or 18 degrees Celsius.
    3. Sorry 'bout that, but I did my best to zip-tie things so they wouldn't be gangling everywhere. What do you think I could do to improve things?
    4. Like I said, I'll probably buy three Yate Loon fans. If at that point things are still too hot I'll be looking into a new case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: Computer Overheating?

1 thing... NICE COMPUTER!!!

Answer: Is your fan secured? I had a CPU overheating problem because the fan was not on correctly.
    HP pavilion dv 6910us, 2.0 GHZ AMD turion 64 X2, 3 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7150M.
    cool tongue dude!

Beans

Just figure out the temperature of your card. The latest cards tend to get very hot ( 100°C is not abnormal). If the card gets too hot, it's possible the computer will simply shut down in Windows but that doesn't seem the case here. As long as you don't experience any problems, I'd say you're just fine.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_42 View Post
    1. Yes I do. I've got an AMD 64 X2 5000+ that's running at about 30 degrees Celsius.
    2. Not too sure, but the thermostat in a nearby hall says 64 degrees Fahrenheit, which is about 17 or 18 degrees Celsius.
    3. Sorry 'bout that, but I did my best to zip-tie things so they wouldn't be gangling everywhere. What do you think I could do to improve things?
    4. Like I said, I'll probably buy three Yate Loon fans. If at that point things are still too hot I'll be looking into a new case.
    For idle temps 30C is good for a 18C room. Under full load (i.e. Nexuiz, games etc)-if you don't have any handy way of checking temps during load--the next best things to try:

-Clean off the fan grills, they collect lots of dust and particles by design-and can get clogged easily

-Run your computer under load with the side panel off, to see if more air circulation helps with temps. Of course-don't dare touch any of the components while booted.

-For left over cable snakes I hide them in the unused 5.25" bays. The zip-ties I fully approve of it is the cables hanging in the middle of the case that bugs me . Every little thing can help when improving cooling air flow; especially in a case with very poor air-flow to start...which in this case is made worse by a large graphics card. In your box there's no room for air to flow straight from intake to exhaust-which can cause major heat issues. Tidying cables won't do much here-due to the lack of air-flow in the best of times, but it cannot hurt.

-I presume the CPU cooler is mounted with Arctic Silver5 at the interface between CPU and cooler?
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    -Clean off the fan grills
    -Run your computer under load with the side panel off, to see if more air circulation helps with temps.
    -For left over cable snakes I hide them in the unused 5.25" bays.
    -I presume the CPU cooler is mounted with Arctic Silver5 at the interface between CPU and cooler?
    - I did that while I was putting in the new GPU
    - This thought kind of scares me. Since one of my fans (the intake) is on the side, and the only other one is on the back, I'm afraid to remove half of the fans.
    - I did my best, and I was going to do this, but having the big ball of cables zip-tied where they are right now kept them more secure, they sort of flopped about when I tried zip-tying them in the spare bays.
    - I think that's what I've got. I alcohol'd off the original thermal stuff and put on some "Arctic Silver Ceramique" I got from Newegg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepherte View Post
    Just figure out the temperature of your card. As long as you don't experience any problems, I'd say you're just fine.
    I think that random shutdowns are a problem. I think it got up to about 75C in Battlefield 2, but I wasn't actively watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by inxygnuu View Post
    1 thing... NICE COMPUTER!!!
    Is your fan secured?
    Thank you, I feel blessed to have it. As far as I know, both fans are secure. The CPU heatsink-fan has worked fine all this time and the GPU heatsink-fan doesn't feel like it's loose at all.
    Last edited by elmer_42; December 26th, 2008 at 06:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast