Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ubuntu install removed Vista access? please help, very confused, freak out imminent.

Beans

Re: ubuntu install removed Vista access? please help, very confused, freak out immine

Quote Originally Posted by Nitonale View Post
    Holy crap. Thanks for the help, I'll try photorec.

New question: I have recovery disks. Can I somehow use these to fix this or is there no chance?
    You should be able to reinstall Vista from scratch with your recovery disks; but as far as trying to recover any important data that you might have had in Vista, that's going to be tough even with photorec, because you've definitely overwritten the Vista partition. And by the way, restoring a Windows MBR to the drive is unfortunately not going to help any at this point since Vista is now gone. Best of luck, and again, sorry things didn't go as planned for you.

Beans

Re: ubuntu install removed Vista access? please help, very confused, freak out immine

I've got some of my stuff backed up in one way or another, but I have lost quite a few things. I'm angry at myself, but I suppose it could be worse. Just have to grin and bear it. Maybe go cry in a corner for awhile.

Beans

I suppose it's a good thing I like Ubuntu then, eh? XD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Nitonale View Post
    I've got some of my stuff backed up in one way or another, but I have lost quite a few things. I'm angry at myself, but I suppose it could be worse. Just have to grin and bear it. Maybe go cry in a corner for awhile.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    I suppose it's a good thing I like Ubuntu then, eh? XD
    Good to see you can still smile through it! Once you've got Vista back up and running, I hope you give it another go.

If you do decide to try the USB route again, this is the part of the process in which you need to be wary:
    Code:
    "Please locate your flash drive from the list of"
    "devices displayed above and enter it's letter."

"For example, if your flash drive is /dev/sdx,"
    "you would type x and then press Enter"

"What is your drive letter?:"
    Make sure to use the correct letter! Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12