Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What to do with a 250 GB harddrive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: What to do with a 250 GB harddrive

When you get the room, you find uses for it pretty fast.

If anything, keeping your partitions at low percentages will reduce fragmentation and increase performance.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have 8 of them .. I have them in drive caddys and in USB external enclosures and use them all the time. Music and live performance videos .. and one set aside for downloaded programs and another set aside so that I can repair Windows drives (an Apricorn set-up) .. copy the drive contents and clean all of the garbage off with a CLEAN, not on line, computer that has all of the utilities already installed on IT's main HD! .. copy the contents back and the bad drive full of crap that Windows attracts is now clean, quick, and will work until chatty Kathy or gamer Sluggo goes to an infected peer to peer and shuts the protection down again!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by woodside View Post
    Ah well, I'm amazed at how big these harddrives are now. I'll probably never have more than 20 gigs of data and I'm thinking of just setting up a bunch of partitions and installing some other distros. Any suggestions?

I tend to like something stripped down and basic, but I guess I can do a few partitions and try some different things.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    If you have time, try installing Arch. It's tough, it's intimidating but it may just be as good as it gets. Setting it up scares the hell out of me. You can mess up and just start over.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Amateurs.

8TB and counting.

In all seriousness 250GB is nothing. Stop deleting things you've downloaded for a start. We live in an age where data accumulation is cheap. Why conserve space?

Here's an idea for you though, for all that spare room you have.

Start converting all your CDs and DVDs to .iso image files. Store them on the HDD. You'll never have to look for a CD again, and won't have to worry about scratches.
    Last edited by ferrisxb9r; February 11th, 2009 at 04:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

They've got a point, 250 GB isn't as much as you'd think. I happen to have a 250 GB external USB drive. I've got ubuntu on 30 gigs of it so i can use it when i feel like it, and probably about 100 gigs of movies, 20 somethin gigs of music, lots of pics and the rest are program installers for all my windows friends who don't dare to try anything else. i'm currently trying to switch over from XP pro to ubuntu.

Edit: oh and did i mention that the entire drive is compressed and i've only got 14 gigs left

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

250 GB is great for productivity; you would never have to worry about running out of space unless you download a lot of music/movies/games.

I'm amazed that you can get 4 TB harddrives now.. seems like a bit of a waste lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Re: What to do with a 250 GB harddrive

Quote Originally Posted by card_ace View Post
    ...I've got ubuntu on 30 gigs of it so i can use it when i feel like it...
    What kind of speed do you get running Ubuntu through USB 2.0?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When you partition the drive give it some thought as to how many distros you want to install it will save you some headaches later.
    Give NOP Puppy Linux 4.12 a try. Its a very nice distro. Im running it right now with compiz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Bart_D View Post
    What kind of speed do you get running Ubuntu through USB 2.0?
    you would think that itd run slower than if it was an internal hard drive, and that's what i hear a lot but it runs pretty good for me. the only thing that seems to take a long time is booting from it. it takes about 5 minutes to boot up, but other than that its all good. i just prefer to be able to take it with me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345