Thread: [SOLVED] whiptail running CPU @ 92%

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[SOLVED] whiptail running CPU @ 92%

When I run Htop in terminal I get the following:

Attachment 97439

What is this "whiptail" thats running 92% ?? This seems to be a new problem, as my total CPU usually is around 24 to 26%.
    Last edited by gettinoriginal; December 28th, 2008 at 04:46 AM.
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans

Re: whiptail running CPU @ 92%

Whiptail is a "dialog" replacement using newt instead of ncurses. It provides a method of displaying several different types of dialog boxes from shell scripts. This allows a developer of a script to interact with the user in a much friendlier manner.
    Sounds like that task is just running out of control, I can't imagine there being much wrong with killing it off.
    Licat volaré si superturgum Aquila volat

Beans
    Distro

Trouble is, there is no process called whiptail running so I cannot "end process". When I add the CPU% here, I get 24% !! When I try to "kill" it in htop, it just comes back.

Attachment 97441

Somehow it is installed in Synaptic, but is it necessary to the operation of the system ??
    Last edited by gettinoriginal; December 28th, 2008 at 04:46 AM.
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans

It's going to be in use in displaying some sort of message box, judging by it's CPU usage it's just acting up, kill it off:
    Code:
    kill 21120
    If that doesn't work, try forcing it to die(which means it won't do any cleanup, but it will end almost immediatly, even if it's not responding normally)
    Code:
    kill -9 21120

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, that works, now running at 12%. I even rebooted to see if it automatically resumed and it didn't. I would still like to know exactly why it was running though, what program, application, etc needs it.

Beans

There are a few packages that use it, honestly I'd guess GDM was the cause, but that's far from the only cause(and there's no way to check now you've killed it)
    Code:
      alsa-utils
      signing-party
      rcconf
      module-assistant
      modconf
      gkdebconf
      ubuntu-minimal
      psfontmgr
      pppoeconf
      pppconfig
      gdm
      friendly-recovery
      defoma
      debian-goodies
      debconf
      alsa-utils

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, i did recently do a sound system changes, so it looks like Alsa put it in, but since my audio is working fine, I guess I will just live with it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scragar View Post
    It's going to be in use in displaying some sort of message box, judging by it's CPU usage it's just acting up, kill it off:
    Code:
    kill 21120
    If that doesn't work, try forcing it to die(which means it won't do any cleanup, but it will end almost immediatly, even if it's not responding normally)
    Code:
    kill -9 21120

Another user with the same problem ... I tried those kill suggetions and both times terminal reported "No such process". Not to be put off I went into system monitor, processes, active, and was able to kill there. Now the CPU's are under 10%. So my question is this ... where do I execute the kill commands ? Is that at /root or /ect or at ___ ?

Thanks
    Last edited by jasman_92627; July 25th, 2010 at 10:59 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jasman_92627 View Post
    Another user with the same problem ... I tried those kill suggetions and both times terminal reported "No such process".
    Thanks
    run ps aux | grep whiptail (where in the directory tree doesn't matter), and note the process number for whiptail. Then sudo kill -9 <thatprocessnumber>. The process number (such as 21120) is assigned by the kernel when the process is started, and will quite rarely be the same twice.

m00t