Thread: Scanning won't work on Samsung Network Printer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Scanning won't work on Samsung Network Printer

Hello, this is about a Samsung CLX-2160N, a network printer/scanner.

I didn't have any problems connecting and configuring this printer for printing jobs. It is connected to my router via RJ45 cable, and my computer connects through the wireless ethernet card to the router and prints without a problem.

But the scanning function doesn't seem to work. Using XSane, all I get when starting the program is

Code:
     Couldn't open device 'v4l:/dev/video0' 
    Invalid argument
    All I did when configuring the printer was to connect network printer, type in the IP-address, and that was it.

How do I make Ubuntu connect to the proper location to make my network scanner work?

Beans

Re: Scanning won't work on Samsung Network Printer

I have a CLX-3175FN; same problem.

I decided to check to see how it was set up to work in Vista, and there are three different executables excepted in the firewall for scanning. When doing an actual scan, it seems to be connecting on port 9400.

That's about as far as I've gotten; no solution yet. USB scanning under Ubuntu works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a Samsung CLX-3175FN, as well, and looking to get the scanner working over the network.

So far, I have found this information for xsane:

Code:
    # Samsung CLX-3170 Series

SYSFS{idVendor}=="04e8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="342a", MODE="0664", RUN+="libusbscanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
    I also have this site, which lists xerox_mfp (1.0-11) as the backend driver.

I just have to figure out how to put it all together.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Kind of old thread, I know, but I did get my scanner working and this is how I did it:

I am currently using Ubuntu 12.04-beta2-desktop-amd64 with the scanner connected to the local network.

This is what I did, based on information from the this thread and the Samsung Unified Linux Driver Repository.

I uninstallaed the drivers I downloaded and installed from the Samsung website.

Then I added the repository by editing /etc/apt/sources.list and adding the following line:

Code:
    deb http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/ debian extra
    I then installed the GPG key:

Code:
    sudo wget -O - http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/suldr.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
    Follw that up with:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    I downloaded the current repository (currently v 3.00.90 ), unzipped it, drilled down to the directory where I unzipped it and invoked the following:

Code:
    sudo find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {}\;
    Which will make everything that needs to be executable, well, executable.

I then ran the install.sh file to install my drivers.

Additionally, I had to do this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install samsungmfp-scanner
    to install the scanner package.

Then this:

Code:
    sudo /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/netdiscovery --all --scanner >.samsung.netdiscovery
    to get the scanner seen over the network.

Now, the driver installed for the printer was for the CLX-3170, and it did not work correctly. I opened up the Printing dialog, manually selected the CLX-3175splc driver, and then changed the printer URI to the printer (at its IP address) and "LPD network printer via DNS-SD"

Hopefully I got all the steps included there.

Beans

Have been successfully using the CLX-3175fn with Ubuntu since Karmic with the following drivers:
    http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/index.html

I am now on 12.04 LTS and this also worked flawlessly until some weeks ago, it stopped scanning via LAN. I don't know exactly which update caused it.

Anyway, I solved it by following instructions on:
    http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Samsung-Laserdrucker

I only changed the settings in /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf and this worked immediately.