Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why should I try Arch?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why should I try Arch?

I've been happily running Ubuntu (with only a few Gentoo breaks) for a bit more than three years now. I keep hearing about Arch and how good it is, but I really can't think of any reason I would use it: my Ubuntu already does everything I want/need it to.

So, Arch users, enlighten me. Why do you like Arch? What does it have that Ubuntu doesn't?
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Why should I try Arch?

pacman, light & fast, vanilla packages, binary + rolling release, easy to compile from source.

Beans

For some it is what Arch does not have that Ubuntu (& others) do.

Simplicity too.

Beans

First you could probably setup Ubuntu in a similair manner to Arch by using the miniISO or Alternate iso.

Rolling release is cool (for me) so you don't have to wait for a new release of the distro to get the new packages. Pacman, yaourt & AUR (then there is also ABS which I have never used) is the dogs you know what. Building packages is childs play compared to building debs if you ever have to go that route.

The simplicity is another bonus. The few config files Arch uses are very easy to get your head around. For me everything I ever tinkered with was in rc.conf. The few other files you basically only touch during setup and that is minimal editing.

Speed, for me Arch flies compared to Ubuntu.

It's one of those things where it just feels right, fits me like a glove. It's not for everybody as we all have different preferences as to what an OS should be like.

If you can do Gentoo then you will find arch very easy and I have used Gentoo before. If you like creating optimised installs you can even recompile your whole system from scratch with your flags and stuff.

All I can say is that you should give it a try, you never know as you might just like it and if you don't so what.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the answers, I guess I'll give it a go during the winter holidays... Are official KDE 4 packages readily available, by the way? The fact the KDE 4 is still hard-masked in Gentoo, which makes it a reall PITA to install it, is pretty much the only reason I'm running Ubuntu instead of it. Also, how is 64 bit support? Once again something that is sub-par in Gentoo...
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    I've been happily running Ubuntu (with only a few Gentoo breaks) for a bit more than three years now. I keep hearing about Arch and how good it is, but I really can't think of any reason I would use it: my Ubuntu already does everything I want/need it to.
    Usually when someone asks this question, stating that what they are currently using is working fine for them or that they "can't think of any reason they would use it" I tell them not to switch. Certainly go ahead and try Arch in a virtual box session or on a spare computer, but don't switch.

I switched to Arch from Ubuntu back during the time of Dapper Drake. I switched because I use the proprietary nVidia drivers and each time the restricted headers updated on Ubuntu, I had to reinstall the drivers from a vc in order to boot. it was frustrating me and I went looking for something else. For me, it was compelling enough a reason to go looking for something else.

So, Arch users, enlighten me. Why do you like Arch? What does it have that Ubuntu doesn't?
    1. Arch is a rolling release. I always dreaded the release dates for the next Ubuntu. The upgrade process was not always smooth and I didn't enjoy re-installing the OS and spending the next couple hours tweaking settings and preferences. I like the small incremental steps in Arch and the ability to have my system be as bleeding edge as I want.
    Arch has no defaults. There is no default web browser, no default desktop environment or window manager, no default music player, etc. After the base install, you build your system using the applications you choose, running the daemons you choose and nothing more.

2. Arch's community is great as well. The Ubuntu community is very nice, but it is so big and so active that it is easy to get lost or feel overwhelmed. The Arch community is considerably smaller but the users are friendly, knowledgeable and every bit as helpful.

3. The package manager, pacman, coupled with the Arch build System and makepkg is simply wonderful. With the tools Arch gives you, you can make your own packages if something is not in the repositories or in the Arch User Repository. Pacman will then install and maintain it for you, and you can share your PKGBUILD with other Arch users.

4. I think the biggest thing Arch gives me that i felt Ubuntu did not is control. Ubuntu was a great transition for me from Windows to Linux. It was sort of like a training ground where I learned to walk. When I was ready to drive, Arch was there to put the keys in my hands.

Try Arch in a virtual box session. If you like the customizability of Gentoo, you'll appreciate the simplicity of Arch.
    Last edited by Rumor; December 15th, 2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: made it more readable
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Beans

Are official KDE 4 packages readily available, by the way?

Also, how is 64 bit support?

KDE 4.1.3 is in the repos. Not sure about KDE 4.2 but i'm 100% positive it is there somewhere. KDEmod 4.1.3 & 4.2(unstable repo) are in the kdemod repos. Keep in mind the unstable version does not have the locale files at the moment.

64bit support is good. All my stuff works with no effort. Flash is fine and I havent even tried the 64bit version yet. Also running bin32-skype & bin32-wine without hassles. There is icedtea for java browser plugin.

Edit: KDE4.2 beta see,
    http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=59759
    http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=44507

To search for binary packages look at: http://archlinux.org/packages/
    To search for pkgbuilds look at: http://aur.archlinux.org/ Use Yaourt for these as the syntax is the same as pacman and it will do everything automatically for you. Read AUR guide first for globally setting your flags & stuff if you want to.
    Last edited by mips; December 15th, 2008 at 03:57 PM.

Beans

The primary reason for me to switch to arch is the rolling release model. I didn't want to reinstall ubuntu every six months (or update it, come to the conclusion something is broken and that I still have to reinstall. This doesn't always have to be true for other users of course).
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    64bit support is good. All my stuff works with no effort. Flash is fine and I havent even tried the 64bit version yet. Also running bin32-skype & bin32-wine without hassles. There is icedtea for java browser plugin...

The new 64bit version of the flashplugin is SOOOOOOOO much nicer than the nspluginwrapper. I don't use skype and wine so I'm not sure about anything with those apps.....

..... but if there isn't a reason why you have kept your old nspluginwrapper, then you should upgrade to the new: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=21601

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast