Thread: Installing Atmail Open Webmail Client on Ubuntu

Beans

Talking Installing Atmail Open Webmail Client on Ubuntu

I have come across many forums of people who are trying to install squirrelmail/horde, using OWA, fed up with gmail/hotmail, or are looking for a decent free webmail client that they can easily install on their own servers.
    This is exactly how I felt, until I discovered the Atmail Open Webmail client.
    It can be easily configured as a Webmail alternative to Gmail, and any other mail that supports IMAP or POP.
    It has a fantastic looking, simple interface which can be customised to your own needs/wants and best of all, it is entirely free!

Here is a guide on installing the software to your Ubuntu system, the original document is located here.

How to Install Atmail Open Webmail Client on Ubuntu

Open your favourite web-browser and navigate to www.atmail.org/download.php to get a copy of the Atmail Open tarball.
    Run the following command to become root:

Code:
    # sudo /bin/bash
    If apache, PHP and MySQL are not already installed, run the following commands:
    Code:
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get install apache2 php5 libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server mysql-client php5-mysql libapache2-mod-auth-mysql
    Move the Atmail Open tarball into your webservers root public directory.

Code:
    # mv ./atmailopen.tgz /var/www/
    Extract the tarball with the following commands:

Code:
    # cd /var/www
    # tar xzvf ./atmailopen.tgz
    Now navigate to http://localhost/atmailopen in your favourite web browser and there should be a page there, most likely displaying an Installation Error, do not panic! This is absolutely normal.

Go back to the command line and run the following command,

Code:
    # chown -R www-data /var/www/atmailopen
    (where www-data is the user running apache)
    You will also need to turn magic quotes off in your php.ini file (most likely at /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini)
    Find the line that says:
    Code:
    magic_quotes_gpc = On
    and change it to:
    Code:
    magic_quotes_gpc = Off
    Save and quit the text editor that you used, then restart apache with the following command:
    Code:
    # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
    Now navigate to http://localhost/atmailopen in your favourite web browser and make sure there is no errors in the @mail Pre-installation check, then click “continue” at the bottom of the page.
    Select the default language that you wish to use in your Atmail installation, read the license agreement, and if you agree to them, select “Yes I agree to the above license”, and click “Continue >>”.

You have now reached Step 2 of the Atmail client installation.
    Enter your MySQL details in the form presented to you:
    SQL Server Type = MySQL
    SQL Server Hostname or IP = localhost
    SQL Username = root
    SQL Password = whatever you set it to when you installed MySQL
    Database Name = atmail
    Create Database = Checked

Create Database Tables = Checked

Select “Continue >>”

You have now reached Step 3 of the Atmail client installation.
    Enter your SMTP and Admin Email information:
    You can use an external SMTP server or install an SMTP server on localhost, as long as the value in this field is changed to suit.

In this case, I have installed exim on the host machine, this can be achieved with the following command:

Code:
    # sudo apt-get install exim4
    Click “Continue >>”

The next page will ask you about migrating from another webmail system, if you wish to migrate from Horde, Roundcube, or Squirrelmail, Atmail supports this, and you should select the appropriate webmail system to migrate from, however I will not be migrating from any previous webmail system in this tutorial, so I will just select “Continue >>” which concludes the Atmail client installation.
    <p>The final page of your installation should look like the following:

Congratulations, you have successfully installed your new webmail client, select “Login to Webmail” to start using it!

Beans

Cool atmail open database

hi

i installed atmail open webmail to my qmail server and working fine
    with sending and receivig mails in locally.I have doubt in
    atmail open database table Log_RecvMail.What's the use of this table. Is it for logging received mails.But in my server Log_RecvMail is not updating and Log_SendMail is updating every mail sending..any idea........

Thanks
    jacob