Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto setup Folding@Home

Beans

Re: Howto setup Folding@Home

hi,
    how can I active this program on start up ? I've installed it in my system (/opt/foldingathome),
    If my firestarter is active, Do i have to configure it for allowing F@H ?
    I can't find my "unitinfo.txt" at "/opt/foldingathome" anyone can help me ?
    thanks
    Last edited by dage; March 7th, 2006 at 11:47 AM.

Beans

Just a quick plug here for team Ubuntu. If you're folding, why not fold with the rest of us Ubuntu users? Just enter team number 45104.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by hitomi_doaxbv@hotmail.com
    hi,
    how can I active this program on start up ? I've installed it in my system (/opt/foldingathome),
    thanks
    It should automatically be set to start up on boot. To make sure, check that there is a file called /etc/rc2.d/S99foldingathome and a file called /etc/init.d/foldingathome. If you want to start it right now:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/foldingathome start
    For the firewall, I don't use one. I got too frustrated getting everything to work with it. I'll probably set it up over spring break, and I'll make sure what settings are necessary. By default, the client uses port 8080. This can be changed in the advanced options, or you could set your firewall to open this port.

For your unitinfo.txt, it won't be in /opt/foldingathome. The way I have it set up is there is a configuration directory where no folding is ever done. The installer copies the config files from the config directory to each client directory (1, 2, ...; one for each CPU). So the actual folding takes place in /opt/foldingathome/{1,2,...}, and that is where your unitinfo.txt will be.
    Last edited by jpkotta; March 7th, 2006 at 05:14 PM.
    Help yourself: Search the community docs or try other resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Spencer
    Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
    Let science use your computer when you aren't: Folding@Home.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hitomi_doaxbv@hotmail.com
    hi,
    thanks
    Open Nautilus and go to this location: /home/username/opt or /opt/foldingathome here you can check several things. Such as to make sure one or more directory's were created. In mine I have 2 directory's called 1 and config respectively. Go into both and explore. In my 1 directory I have 3 files of interest they are: FAHlog.txt, MyFolding.html, unitinfo.txt. Check them out as they all have very interesting info.

The HTML file will be the one you use the most from here on out as it will allow you to get to the other 2 files from within your web browser and you can bookmark it.
    Here's some more information. The best way to get to unitinfo for myself is through the HTML file as I have that bookmarked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

The new beta script seems to be working well. I've tried it with different and multiple flags with no problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ndhskp
    The best way to get to unitinfo for myself is through the HTML file as I have that bookmarked.
    If you want more information on what your client is doing, you can have a look at FahMon. There is no packaged version, but it is very easy to compile it on Breezy or Dapper as it depends on scons and wxwidgets 2.6.x which are available in the repos.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Athropos
    If you want more information on what your client is doing, you can have a look at FahMon. There is no packaged version, but it is very easy to compile it on Breezy or Dapper as it depends on scons and wxwidgets 2.6.x which are available in the repos.
    Maybe you should make a howto for FahMon it looks interesting. For myself I probably won't do it as thats a little too much work for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm creating a little python app for monitoring F@H on ubuntu. Setup is a breeze and there's no compiling. Should be ready fairly soon. I've already got a (pretty crappy) test version ready that works fine. But I'm reworking the guts completely, so that will take a little while.

I'll post back here when it's ready...
    ga-k8n51 gmf-9 | amd 64 3700+ | geforce 6100
    protein think folding@home monitor

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by WelterPelter
    I'm creating a little python app for monitoring F@H on ubuntu. Setup is a breeze and there's no compiling. Should be ready fairly soon. I've already got a (pretty crappy) test version ready that works fine. But I'm reworking the guts completely, so that will take a little while.

I'll post back here when it's ready...
    Cool we'll be waiting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: Howto setup Folding@Home

Quick question to all --

I've been folding for Team Ubuntu for a couple weeks. I've got FAH starting as a service when the computer starts. Everything seems to work well and I'm folding away, but I noticed in poking around my sytem that I have four instances of FAHCore_82.exe.

Code:
    mjwood@mojave3:/media$ ps aux | grep FahCore
    root      8852  0.0  1.3  17788  3432 ?        SN   00:11   0:00 ./FahCore_82.exe -dir work/ -suffix 03 -checkpoint 5 -lifeline 8807 -version 502
    root      8853  0.0  1.3  17788  3432 ?        SN   00:11   0:00 ./FahCore_82.exe -dir work/ -suffix 03 -checkpoint 5 -lifeline 8807 -version 502
    root      8854 84.8  1.3  17788  3432 ?        RN   00:11 611:10 ./FahCore_82.exe -dir work/ -suffix 03 -checkpoint 5 -lifeline 8807 -version 502
    root      8855  0.0  1.3  17788  3432 ?        SN   00:11   0:00 ./FahCore_82.exe -dir work/ -suffix 03 -checkpoint 5 -lifeline 8807 -version 502
    mjwood    8779  0.0  0.2   3064   752 pts/0    R+   12:11   0:00 grep FahCore
    mjwood@mojave3:/media$
    All of the processes seem dependent on process 8807 - /opt/foldingathome/1/FAH502-Linux.exe

Anyone have any ideas?
    Linux User #395848
    Blog: http://digitalnotions.net

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast