Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto setup Folding@Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Howto setup Folding@Home

ndhskp: Great tut, but please note that this is a heavy tut to be doing for newbies and is great to do for those in advanced.

But for the newbies, could you please add the following below to your tut?

STEP: 2 Select the 5.04beta version and "Save As". Then open your home directory and create a FAH folder and drag & drop the .exe in your FAH folder.
    STEP: 3 Open a terminal and sudo chmod -x ./FAH504-Linux.exe
    STEP: 5 ./FAH504-Linux.exe and then enter the following information as ndhskp has provided for you to do in setting up your user information.
    This is for the .exe installation and works like a charm
    Last edited by XDevHald; January 16th, 2006 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Subscribing to Thread
    AskDroid - Android Q&A Community

Beans

How about adding in a tutorial about how to share Folding@Home so that users with EMIII running on Windows can monitor the progress?

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool Re: Howto setup Folding@Home

Steve Myers said: ndhskp: "Great tut, but please note that this is a heavy tut to be doing for newbies and is great to do for those in advanced."

Actually it's very easy. All you have to do is cut and paste the code, you don't have to know really what's going on too much although knowing does help. If people want to follow your method that's great. So feel free to point them to your post or even write an alternative tutorial and send it in.

For drdeutsch: I have not a clue what your talking about.

Beans

I have been running folding@home for years, but now I'm trying to set it up on this ubuntu box. I have downloaded the executable, chmodded it, put in in the /opt/foldingathome/config directory. I have the two scripts, and have renamed and chmodded them and put them in /opt/foldingathome/.

However, when I run the install script (as sudo), it keeps saying that I don't have the folding executable. Obviously I do, so what's going on here?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by WelterPelter
    I have downloaded the executable, chmodded it, put in in the /opt/foldingathome/config directory. I have the two scripts, and have renamed and chmodded them and put them in /opt/foldingathome/.

However, when I run the install script (as sudo), it keeps saying that I don't have the folding executable. Obviously I do, so what's going on here?
    You say that you download the executable, what do you mean by that? The 2 install script files on the Ubuntu wiki for folding@home are all the files that you need. I am not sure about the exact process but I think that they download the executable for you. Also you seem to have created a /opt/foldingathome/config directory manually well you don't need to do that as that happens automatically.

Try deleting everything in the /opt/foldingathome directory and just leaving the /opt/foldingathome directory. Download the 2 scripts and proceed to copy and paste the code into your terminal from the howto. Remember the 2 script files are all you need don't download anything from the folding at home website.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ndhskp
    You say that you download the executable, what do you mean by that? The 2 install script files on the Ubuntu wiki for folding@home are all the files that you need. I am not sure about the exact process but I think that they download the executable for you. Also you seem to have created a /opt/foldingathome/config directory manually well you don't need to do that as that happens automatically.

Try deleting everything in the /opt/foldingathome directory and just leaving the /opt/foldingathome directory. Download the 2 scripts and proceed to copy and paste the code into your terminal from the howto. Remember the 2 script files are all you need don't download anything from the folding at home website.
    Here's what happens:

$ sudo ./folding_install.sh

Creating directory structure...

It appears that you have not installed Folding@Home yet. Would you like me to download it for you?
    1) yes
    2) no
    #? yes

Please download the executable and save it to /opt/foldingathome/config.
    Then re-run this script.
    $

It just tells me to do it myself.

Beans
    Hidden!

Here's what happens:

$ sudo ./folding_install.sh

Creating directory structure...

It appears that you have not installed Folding@Home yet. Would you like me to download it for you?
    1) yes
    2) no
    #? yes

Please download the executable and save it to /opt/foldingathome/config.
    Then re-run this script.
    $

It just tells me to do it myself.
    All right lets try this when you see the question about "would you like me to download it for you" don't answer with yes just put in a 1.

Make sure you are connected to the Internet when you are doing this.

Looks like this:
    1) yes
    2) no
    #? 1

If this works great if not reply so I can continue to help you.

Also when you get to the question about running as daemon or manually and if you choose daemon use this command to start folding@home:
    username@ubuntu:/opt/foldingathome$ sudo /etc/init.d/foldingathome start

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ndhskp
    All right lets try this when you see the question about "would you like me to download it for you" don't answer with yes just put in a 1.

Make sure you are connected to the Internet when you are doing this.

Looks like this:
    1) yes
    2) no
    #? 1

If this works great if not reply so I can continue to help you.

Also when you get to the question about running as daemon or manually and if you choose daemon use this command to start folding@home:
    username@ubuntu:/opt/foldingathome$ sudo /etc/init.d/foldingathome start
    Ahh. Well, my embarrassment is overcome by my joy. Happily folding away. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Ahh. Well, my embarrassment is overcome by my joy. Happily folding away. Thanks!
    What was it? Were you not connected to the Internet or was it the 1 as opposed to the yes.

Congratulations sir, most excellent!

Beans

It was typing yes, over and over and over, instead of one. Duh.

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast