Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New Linux distro: Chakra

Beans

Re: New Linux distro: Chakra

Quote Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
    But in all an OK add. Just too bad you cant install it (chakra). - Unless anyone here has had better luck.
    If you want to install it, I would recommend doing an Arch Linux install, since Chakra is just starting out and there has never been a real usable GUI installer before Chakra (larch's was half usable at best).
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Unfortunately, the installer is bugged or never works for me regardless of system i try installing it on.
    You do release you are complaining about software that has not reached final release status yet?

I myself have not even tried it yet simply because it is not a final release yet and there are known bugs.

Apparently there will be no AMD64 .iso so that rules it out for running on my desktop, I will most likely try it on my 32-bit laptop though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    You do release you are complaining about software that has not reached final release status yet?

I myself have not even tried it yet simply because it is not a final release yet and there are known bugs.

Apparently there will be no AMD64 .iso so that rules it out for running on my desktop, I will most likely try it on my 32-bit laptop though.
    There are alot of distros that release stuff not yet at final status, I'm simply stating that, the absence of a working installer when it has an installer icon is a bit misleading. I tried to update the installer, that worked, went therough setting user name, etc., but at end it just hangs there forever.

Best not to include installer icon at all
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans

There are alot of distros that release stuff not yet at final status, I'm simply stating that, the absence of a working installer when it has an installer icon is a bit misleading. I tried to update the installer, that worked, went therough setting user name, etc., but at end it just hangs there forever.

Edit: Never mind...
    Last edited by mips; February 5th, 2009 at 04:13 PM.

Beans

Including the installer at least allows them to get some bug testing on it to see exactly where it fails.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

But in all an OK add. Just too bad you cant install it (chakra). - Unless anyone here has had better luck.

I've installed it successfully. Quite smoothly actually. Compared to some distributions the installer was rather slow. Also some of the options during the install didn't work, but overall it did work.

The only major failure on my end was that it did not correctly identify my windows partition for Grub. (But that was an easy fix after the install.)

Beans

wow, it installed. How long was the install? 1 hour? For me it just hangs at hard drive setup.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans

wow, it installed. How long was the install? 1 hour? For me it just hangs at hard drive setup.
    On my hardware, it takes about 30-45 minutes where as other distributions, particularly Ubuntu/Fedora can be installed in roughly 15-20 minutes.

For it being in Alpha stage, I am quite pleased with how well it worked.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567