Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Linux distro: Chakra

Beans

Re: New Linux distro: Chakra

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    IMO, Arch is most like CRUX with a shiny cover on it. There may be differences, but there are many similarities that tie the two together.

I get, and agree with, your point that Chakra defeats the general purpose of Arch, and that it may not be the best way to deliver Arch to users that have never looked at a configuration file; however, I believe it may make Arch more accessible for some users, and at least has the potential to provide a more comfortable graphical interface to get familiar with Arch.
    On the same note, it could also be a godsend for experienced Arch users that need to have a working OS in a very short period of time. Most every basic need is met by Chakra, Xorg is configured, networking is configured, etc.

<OFF_TOPIC>

I like the new avatar Sorivenul, the best of everything Linux.

</OFF_TOPIC>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    Preloaded. I admit I don't see a need for there to be a whole LiveCD of it, but it's convenient if you want to just get right to it without going through the normal steps. Still, it seems like a lot of unnecessary work for the team since there's nothing really done outside of choosing the DE.
    Perahps they want people moving over to Arch Linux, that won't even dare to try Arch out because of the "hard" installation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    Perahps they want people moving over to Arch Linux, that won't even dare to try Arch out because of the "hard" installation.
    People have the mistaken idea that the Arch installation is hard. It is not hard, it is just different to what most users are used to; you have to do some typing, or more likely cutting & pasting as you follow the brilliant Beginners Guide installation instructions.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    There's a problem with that, though.

It's not like Arch has this balls-exploding difficult installation and then once it's up and running there's never any work that needs to be done. The installation is a primer for the way Arch works in general. It familiarizes users with editing the various *.conf files, acclimates them to a non-GUI interface, and teaches its own way of things.

Arch's installation is not hard. It just requires reading. Quite literally you can go through the Beginners Guide and not change a single thing and you'll be able to install the system no problems. Like I said, Arch itself requires a level of intimacy with the system and if you go through an easy hand-holding GUI to install, operation will prove tricky.

To me, it's like making a stick-shift car that doesn't require any actual shifting of gears until you get on the highway.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Finally, I've been waiting for this for a while now. The cd is downloading now .
    Also the only reason I don't have arch installed now is because i could never get xorg to configure it's self.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I recall reading somewhere that the goal of Chakra is to modularize KDE4 into something a bit more organized and customizable.

That's just what I heard anyway.

It sure looks interesting, I hope they get a good amount of custom artwork to set themselves apart from other distros.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a friend who likes *buntu but I am trying to get him switched to Arch (pacman pwns apt-get IMHO). This is the perfect thing for it.

I am going to install in VBox as soon as the dl finishes

@Mr. Psychopath: KDEmod's goal is that. Chakra is a LArch CD with KDEmod pre-installed and setup

Beans

Wow, an easy installation of a hard to administer distro combined with an unstable desktop environment sounds like a recpie for disaster to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you want hard to administer get Windows. The stuff that makes Ubuntu easy to use (most of it anyway) is present in Chakra. HAL and DBus do automounting. Automatic X configuration is present. Network configuration is there. A nice control center (which is built into KDE4.1) is present. It is actually very stable. And they are (I believe) going to release a KDE3.5 version of it after the LiveCD/Installer is finished.

Beans

OMG. Thank Goodness for the makers of Chakra. I am an avid fan of distros like arch, zenwalk, and vectorlinux. Arch could have been my favorite, but the process of installing from scratch was a pain. An educational pain I might add. I learnt a lot about linux cli that way.

But Chakra potentially would make me be up and going fast and then I can use the other cli tools with an already existent working desktop.

I know arch is not intended for lazy folks who dont want to read at first to get started, but I think an offshoot like Chakra can seriously get many to go through it once they see the bundle of features it comes with.

On zenwalk for example, I use netpkg cli for most of my things. Zenwalk to date is my favorite and longest running distro since my distro hopping days..

Arch's Kdemod almost single handedly brought me to total convert. Chakra may be the silver bullet.

I shall get this today after work on another machine and play with it.

pacman -S and netpkg are two of my favorite install commands., up there with apt-get
    Where debian kicks *** is their great matured integration with synaptic., etc Gui installer.

Sometimes, I want to know what I have installed - hard to see in cli environment.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast