Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Linux distro: Chakra

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

New Linux distro: Chakra

The Alpha 1 is ready for testing.

Chakra is an Arch Linux based system which offers KDE 4.13 with a lot of extra stuff etc... http://kdemod.ath.cx/download-iso.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: New Linux distro: Chakra

Thanks. I know a lot of folks have been waiting a long time for this, including myself. Now to settle in for the full release.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

I've already installed it, and it works.

However, I wouldn't call it a new linux distribution, because it isn't new at all. Chakra is Arch, plain and simple. Chakra is really just a live CD of Arch with KDEmod as default.

I'm not even sure I would call it a remix, since every Arch user creates their customized Desktop.

I'm not sure what to call it honestly.

Anyhoo, Tribe, the installer worked well for me. As did the update process, but I've used Arch for about a year now, so it's all very familiar to me. I would recommend that users be familiar with Arch before using this LiveCD.

Beans

OMG. They have the best disclaimer CYA legalese document ever.....

I'm definitely going to play with it once it reaches a more stable state. Anything entitled alphas are to risky for me, usually-especially entire OS/DE compilations.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakra EULA
    Disclaimer

No warranties, either express or implied, are hereby given for anything provided by the Chakra Project ("Software"). All software is supplied as is, without any guarantee. The user assumes all responsibility for damages resulting from the use of the software, including, but not limited to, frustration, disgust, system abends, disk head-crashes, general malfeasance, floods, fires, shark attack, locust infestation, cyclones, hurricanes, tsunamis, local electromagnetic disruptions, hydraulic brake system failure, invasion, hashing collisions, normal wear and tear of friction surfaces, cosmic radiation, inadvertent destruction of sensitive electronic components, windstorms, the riders of nazgul, infuriated chickens, premature activation of a distant early warning system, peasant uprisings, halitosis, artillery bombardment, explosions, cave-ins, borg-assimilation, america bringing democracy to your country and/or frogs falling from the sky.
    Last edited by Skripka; December 22nd, 2008 at 12:55 AM.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by namegame View Post
    I'm not sure what to call it honestly.
    Preloaded. I admit I don't see a need for there to be a whole LiveCD of it, but it's convenient if you want to just get right to it without going through the normal steps. Still, it seems like a lot of unnecessary work for the team since there's nothing really done outside of choosing the DE.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    Preloaded. I admit I don't see a need for there to be a whole LiveCD of it, but it's convenient if you want to just get right to it without going through the normal steps. Still, it seems like a lot of unnecessary work for the team since there's nothing really done outside of choosing the DE.
    Perhaps its a step towards an easier versions of arch
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    Perhaps its a step towards an easier versions of arch
    +1.

Users afraid of the command-line default of Arch may find themselves better off starting with something like Chakra. KDEmod is a great implementation and should make the Arch experience that much easier for new users. In some ways I think of it as doing for Arch what Arch did for CRUX.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    +1.

Users afraid of the command-line default of Arch may find themselves better off starting with something like Chakra. KDEmod is a great implementation and should make the Arch experience that much easier for new users. In some ways I think of it as doing for Arch what Arch did for CRUX.
    Yes, but Arch is another distro from CRUX. Chakra is Arch with a shiny cover on it.

Not to mention, look through the Archwiki. Look at how things like Wicd or MPD have to be installed. Take a gander at the directions to get CUPS or Samba rolling. Notice how a lot of that involves editing configuraion files? As an Arch user, are you intimidated by that? Probably not, because the installation forced you to get acquainted with all those files.

An "easier" Arch may not be a bad idea, but slapping a cover on it that does all the work for you is a horrid idea because Arch by its very design requires the user to edit stuff in order to get things working. Also, lord help you if something breaks and you've never opened up the hood.

Arch's theory is one that requires users to be unafraid to get their hands dirty. If that's removed from the installation process and it turns into "install CD, press next, have OS", then it's the user who's shortchanged by having absolutely no understanding of the very system they just installed.

Chakra isn't some vastly different system from Arch, it's Arch with KDEMod on it, yes? Well that's still Arch, and Arch still requires a more intimate relationship between user and system, something that's not going to happen if it's being wrapped up in easy-breezy tinfoil.

Take the Arch theory and make a new distro out of it if you want, that's not a bad idea at all. I'd imagine it's VERY possible to make a modular, rolling-release distro that requires little to no CLI usage. But don't go halfway by just fiddling with Arch a little.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    Yes, but Arch is another distro from CRUX. Chakra is Arch with a shiny cover on it.
    IMO, Arch is most like CRUX with a shiny cover on it. There may be differences, but there are many similarities that tie the two together.

I get, and agree with, your point that Chakra defeats the general purpose of Arch, and that it may not be the best way to deliver Arch to users that have never looked at a configuration file; however, I believe it may make Arch more accessible for some users, and at least has the potential to provide a more comfortable graphical interface to get familiar with Arch.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast