Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: [SOLVED] A decent Debian based KDE4 distro?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Beans
    1,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    [SOLVED] A decent Debian based KDE4 distro?

    Are there any decent Debian based KDE4 distros around? as the best KDE4 Implementations I can see by far are Suse and Mandriva (Kubuntu was just atrocious)

    also is the new linux mint KDE remix going to come with KDE4??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    1,089

    Re: A decent Debian based KDE4 distro?

    The best debian based kde distro is probably sidux. I don't know about the new linux mint using kde4, but i'd guess it would.

    EDIT - I'm sorry kamitsukai, sidux is still using kde3 as it is from the unstable branch of debian.
    Last edited by benerivo; December 21st, 2008 at 09:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Beans
    1,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: A decent Debian based KDE4 distro?

    Quote Originally Posted by benerivo View Post
    The best debian based kde distro is probably sidux. I don't know about the new linux mint using kde4, but i'd guess it would.

    EDIT - I'm sorry kamitsukai, sidux is still using kde3 as it is from the unstable branch of debian.
    No Worries

    PS: Love you avatar red dwarf is brilliant

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    367

    Re: A decent Debian based KDE4 distro?

    Try Chakra. It's a LiveCD of Arch Linux with KDEmod as the default DE.

    I installed it earlier today and it worked quite well.

    http://chakra-project.org/download-iso.html

    DISCLAIMER:

    The LiveCD is in Alpha stage. The safer route would be to install and configure a normal Arch install with KDEmod. However, Chakra is the faster option.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Beans
    1,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: A decent Debian based KDE4 distro?

    Quote Originally Posted by namegame View Post
    Try Chakra. It's a LiveCD of Arch Linux with KDEmod as the default DE.

    I installed it earlier today and it worked quite well.

    http://chakra-project.org/download-iso.html

    DISCLAIMER:

    The LiveCD is in Alpha stage. The safer route would be to install and configure a normal Arch install with KDEmod. However, Chakra is the faster option.
    Thanks might take a look. hunted round the mint forums and have discovered to my great delight that that the latest KDE remix will indeed have KDE 4

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    367

    Re: A decent Debian based KDE4 distro?

    I apologize. I didn't realize you asked for debian-based. Neither Arch or Chakra are Debian based.

    I've tried Linux Mint 6 and it's pretty good from what I have seen.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Beans
    1,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: A decent Debian based KDE4 distro?

    Quote Originally Posted by namegame View Post
    I apologize. I didn't realize you asked for debian-based. Neither Arch or Chakra are Debian based.

    I've tried Linux Mint 6 and it's pretty good from what I have seen.
    No need to apologize I've herd good things about arch although Chakra looks like an easier way to get into arch and it's got a cool name too (I'm a sucker for Naruto...)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    Beans
    1,789

    Re: A decent Debian based KDE4 distro?

    Quote Originally Posted by kamitsukai View Post
    No need to apologize I've herd good things about arch although Chakra looks like an easier way to get into arch and it's got a cool name too (I'm a sucker for Naruto...)
    Arch is quite fantastic if you want to have control over your system. Because of that, it also tends to be very fast, and the vanilla packages have caused less breakage for me than Debian-style patching (and no ssh vulnerabilities!).

    Sidux is pretty nice, although I could never get my sound to work in it. And yes, Kubuntu was (is?) pretty terrible, although I used it (and abused it) for 6 months.

    OT:
    Naruto? Really? Have you watched Gurren Lagann?
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Beans
    1,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: A decent Debian based KDE4 distro?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    Naruto? Really? Have you watched Gurren Lagann?
    Well more Naruto Shippuden and the manga is better
    I've heard of Gurren Lagann but to be honest I'm not a huge fan of mecha style anime...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    219

    Re: A decent Debian based KDE4 distro?

    Mepis KDE4 remaster, you will find it in their forums under "package sharing".
    ASUS X202E - Intel Core i3 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB Seagate HDD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •