Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: selinux on intrepid

Beans

Re: selinux on intrepid

I had trouble installing selinux and getting it to work. The following command:

sudo apt-get install selinux

installed selinux and selinux-policy-dummy. Consequently, selinux was not enabled because of the lack of a policy folder in the /etc/selinux directory. Additionally, during boot, a load_policy file not found error occurred after the init process started. The problem was the _load_policy script in the /etc/initramfs/scripts/init-bottom was pointing to the wrong directory. I changed it from /sbin/policy to /usr/sbin/load_policy and ran the following command

sudo update-initramfs -u -k `uname -r`

Nevertheless, there was no policy in the etc directory. I tried to install "sudo apt-get install selinux-policy-default", which proceeded to uninstall selinux. I appears the selinux on Ubuntu is hosed, and after much dubbing around with this, I decided to install the latest selinux packages from the http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages ( I used Lenny in order to get the next highest version over the Ubuntu version). I installed anything that had to do with selinux. Below is a list of files that I used:

libselinux1_2.0.65-5_amd64.deb
    libsemanage1_2.0.25-2_amd64.deb
    libsetools-tcl_3.3.5.ds-5_amd64.deb
    policycoreutils_2.0.49-6_amd64.deb
    python-selinux_2.0.65-5_amd64.deb
    python-semanage_2.0.25-2_amd64.deb
    python-sepolgen_1.0.11-5_all.deb
    selinux-basics_0.3.5_all.deb
    selinux-doc_1.26-1_all.deb
    selinux-policy-default_0.0.20080702-6_all.deb
    selinux-policy-doc_0.0.20080702-6_all.deb
    selinux-policy-mls_0.0.20080702-6_all.deb
    selinux-policy-refpolicy-doc_0.0.20061018-5.1+etch1_all.deb
    selinux-policy-refpolicy-targeted_0.0.20061018-5.1+etch1_all.deb
    selinux-policy-src_0.0.20080702-6_all.deb
    setools_3.3.5.ds-5_amd64.deb

Lastly, I had to change the init program from upstart-compat-sysv to sysvinit to be able to boot selinux

sudo apt-get install sysvinit

Nothing seems to ever go that smooth. After installing sysvinit, I could not gracefully reboot. It would just go back to the login screen. Luckily, I had sysrqd installed, which I allowed me to gracefully sync and unmount the RAID hard drives, then reboot. If you want more info on sysrqd, google it with the "REISUB" keyboard sequence

Note: the audit2allow command from Ubuntu did not work because of the import python-sepolgen error. The import statement should just be sepolgen. Additionally, there was a problem with the python-selinux shared object file. Updating all selinux packages cured this problem. Hence, audit2allow command works fine after upgrade.

Hope this info helps!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Thank you for the information tgilber1

To be honest, for all that effort, I would almost prefer to install from source or better use Fedora or Centos.

+1 on audit2allow

It is a really really nice tool.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The default security framework in Ubuntu is AppArmor (developed by Novell) which is easier to configure.
    iplist

"Specialization is for Insects", R. Heinlein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12