Thread: Configuration Epson Workforce 600

Hybrid View

Beans

Configuration Epson Workforce 600

I've just installed a Epson Workforce 600. I've managed to get it working (as a printer) using the Epson Stylus Scan 2500 settings. But it is printing veeeery slowly and with bad quality. BTW, printing is my main concern (scanning it is not that important for me).
    Is there any other option? I am quite a ubuntu newbie, so I would like to ask you to treat me kindly.
    Thank you very much!

Beans

Talking Re: Configuration Epson Workforce 600

This is what I did to get it to work in Intrepid Ibex: (first time using a ubuntu distribution, so I dont know if previous ones are the same, and I speak in VERY non-technical terms, so some linux nerds may not like me.).

I looked up "workforce 600 linux driver" in google and found this site:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...-WorkForce_600

So I downloaded this driver (Link 1) and selected to open it with GDebi Package Installer. It did its thing, I think it even downloaded more packages, but when it got around to installing them it sorta stopped, so I notice there was a little drop down triangle thingie for terminal and in the terminal, turns out it was asking me something about a mail server or something all this time, i guess mail server stuff is in this download too, but one of the options was to leave the setting the same, so i did by clicking into the terminal and pressing one and enter, afterwards the installation completed. Then I went into system/administration/printing and did all that stuff but the driver was not listed, so then i went back and downloaded the other driver (Link 2) did the same thing before, used GDebi to open it and it added some more drivers. I go back into system/administration/printing and voila! Its in there under the drivers. I think after you download link 1 and 2 and have GDebi install them, you can literally click add new printer and then click "next" or "forward" or whatever the whole way through the printer setup and it will work. I tried to get the Workforce 600 to work under OpenSuse 11 but it didnt work at all. If you have a Workforce 600, I know for sure if you switch to Ubuntu 8.10, it will work. I am not sure if you really have to download and install Link 1 first but it couldnt hurt, so do it anyway. The printing quality is pretty dang good I will have to say.

Link 1 x86 32 bit (DEB for LSB 3.1)
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/downloa...sb3.1_i386.deb

Link 2 x86 32 bit (DEB for LSB 3.2)
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/downloa...sb3.2_i386.deb
    Last edited by w4gn0r; December 23rd, 2008 at 07:22 AM.

Beans

Re: Configuration Epson Workforce 600

(first time using a ubuntu distribution, so I dont know if previous ones are the same, and I speak in VERY non-technical terms, so some linux nerds may not like me.).
    Not true! "VERY non-technical terms" are what makes this distro great. Remeber: Ubuntu is linux for HUMANS! Your post was very informative and straight forward, expressing insight that a casual user benefits from. Good job.

BTW, thanks for the links
    Ubuntu User since Warty +1
    Registered Linux User #388905

Beans

Smile Re: Configuration Epson Workforce 600

[QUOTE=w4gn0r;6421740]This is what I did to get it to work in Intrepid Ibex: (first time using a ubuntu distribution, so I dont know if previous ones are the same, and I speak in VERY non-technical terms, so some linux nerds may not like me.).

This was an excellent post. I think you underestimate yourself. The links were exactly what I needed. I downloaded and installed the DEB packages from Link 1 and 2. After installing the DEB package from Link 2 I configured my Workforce 600 with no issue. And the test page was quick.

For the DEB package at Link 1 I selected #1 option for the mail configuration. Basically option 1 was No Configuration. Then the package proceeded to install automatically after this single manual step.

Thanks much. And I agree the print quality is excellent.

Mark

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

I second the motion. I followed your instructions and my WorkForce 600 is working perfectly.

Thank you so much.

Don

Beans

w4gn0r,

Just wanted to add that this worked perfectly in KDE 4.2. I don't know how much the windows manager matters but for anyone using KDE you should be good. Thank you very much!

Side note, I have not tested the ability to scan/fax with this driver but the printing is brilliant. Also, it is working wireless (other forums talked about success only when wired).

Beans

Thank you very much, w4gn0r,
    It works like a charm!
    Excellent printer, BTW.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

this works on hardy heron! thats a great link and these are some mighty precious debs. i'm hanging on to these. thanks!