Thread: Synaptic lists gnome as not installed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Synaptic lists gnome as not installed

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 with Gnome.

However when I look in Synaptic Package Manager, it lists the package gnome-desktop-environment as not installed and gives me the option to "Mark for Installation".

Also, it lists the latest version as being 2.20.2.2 when I see on the internet there is a version 2.25.3.

Whats going on here? Is there something wrong with my Synaptic Package Manager?

Thanks.
    Do Less, Do it Well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Synaptic lists gnome as not installed

No there's nothing wrong with Synaptec. I'm running Gnome as well, and that package is not shown as installed. I'm also showing the same version as the default in 8.04.

The newer version you're referencing probably requires an upgrade to 8.10 -- but I'm not certain of that. I don't know if you can just upgrade gnome on its own. Others more expert than me will have to address that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Synaptic lists gnome as not installed

Quote Originally Posted by selahlynch View Post
    Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 with Gnome.

However when I look in Synaptic Package Manager, it lists the package gnome-desktop-environment as not installed and gives me the option to "Mark for Installation".

Also, it lists the latest version as being 2.20.2.2 when I see on the internet there is a version 2.25.3.

Whats going on here? Is there something wrong with my Synaptic Package Manager?

Thanks.
    There are several gnome packages that are not installed by default; you're certainly free to install them if you like.

Ubuntu releases will always be slightly behind the "official" Gnome version. The version in Intrepid as of today is 2.24.1.