Page 50 of 86 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Beans

Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

no, I never got anywhere. That doesn't mean it's impossible, just that it requires more chops than I possess. Someone with decent coding skills and a vague working knowledge of the X.org and kernel interfaces could probably do it. (And that someone is Greg Kroah-Hartman, who's trying, when he has the spare time.)
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Very cool, thanks for the info!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
    Im running netbook remix on my mini 12, the hardy 8.04 version with all the instructions to use the psb driver.
    To which instructions are you referring?

Beans

Post 94 and everything after that which walks you through using the psb driver. I havnt gotten to be able to get movie player to not crash (i haven't tried yet), but i can use the 3d screen savers, the glxinfo shows direct rendering enabled, i can watch flash videos (rock solid), and use the awn dock, and i have true transparency, im running 1280x800. The compositing is smooth and efficient too.

The only thing i wish i could figure out, how the hell to get the volume controls FnF4, FnF5, and FnF6 to work for mute up and down. Oh and FnF7 for print screen.

Aside from those two complaints i am completely satified using this all the time as a stable netbook platform so far...

oh almost forgot, cheese crashes my login session too (so no camera), but it did that before i even switched to xfce.
    Last edited by dimeified; May 6th, 2009 at 02:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
    Post 94 and everything after that which walks you through using the psb driver. I havnt gotten to be able to get movie player to not crash (i haven't tried yet), but i can use the 3d screen savers, the glxinfo shows direct rendering enabled, i can watch flash videos (rock solid), and use the awn dock, and i have true transparency, im running 1280x800. The compositing is smooth and efficient too.

The only thing i wish i could figure out, how the hell to get the volume controls FnF4, FnF5, and FnF6 to work for mute up and down. Oh and FnF7 for print screen.

Aside from those two complaints i am completely satified using this all the time as a stable netbook platform so far...

oh almost forgot, cheese crashes my login session too (so no camera), but it did that before i even switched to xfce.
    Thanks! (And thanks to brteag00 as well.)

One question: does anybody know if there is any reason why this exact procedure wouldn't work using Jaunty UNR rather than Hardy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Xernie View Post
    Thanks! (And thanks to brteag00 as well.)

One question: does anybody know if there is any reason why this exact procedure wouldn't work using Jaunty UNR rather than Hardy?
    I believe it won't work because those proprietary bits don't work with kernels newer than the one in Hardy.

Beans

Hey y'all -

I just wanted to note that a few more packages have dropped in the ubuntu-mobile PPA in the last week, and the driver is now fully functional in Intrepid. That means working 3D and video decode as well as full-resolution 2D. The archive is here.

There is some evidence that things are still somewhat hacked together, as these packages depend on libdrm v1 instead of v2. This necessitates a rebuilt Mesa and Xorg stack. However, it's super easy once you add the PPA to your /etc/apt/sources.list (following the instructions on page linked above) - just install the poulsbo-driver-2d and poulsbo-driver-3d meta-packages. These pull in the rest - Xorg driver, DRI library, libva, firmware, Xpsb, Mesa, the works.

I have installed the above on a stock Intrepid (lpia) install, and it works fine. There were two hiccups - first, the DRI device is created in the "video" group, so you have to be a member of that group to use 3D or video accel. Second, a couple files in the above packages conflicted with a Mesa package (mesa-common-devel, I think) that I already had installed - if you get errors, remove the appropriate Mesa packages before pulling in the PPA's.

Also of note - if you add "psb" to its driver whitelist, Compiz works with these drivers. (If you recall, it didn't work in Hardy.) I think it's unusably slow, but I know there were a bunch of folks here who wanted it.

The gripe, of course, is that we're still a release behind the rest of the Ubuntu world - ie, no Jaunty packages yet. But it sure is nice to have all the bits available from an official source instead of ripping them out of the Dell image.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by brteag00 View Post
    just install the poulsbo-driver-2d and poulsbo-driver-3d meta-packages. These pull in the rest - Xorg driver, DRI library, libva, firmware, Xpsb, Mesa, the works.
    Could I just install poulsbo-driver-2d and skip poulsbo-driver-3d. I don't want 3d. I just want good 2D and video acceleration. I read earlier in this thread that in Hardy some people got better 2D performance if they didn't also have the 3D bits installed.

I have installed the above on a stock Intrepid (lpia) install, and it works fine.
    How do you do a stock Intrepid (lpia) install? From what I read earlier in this thread I thought that in order to get a proper lpia architecture installed you couldn't do a stock install, but rather you needed to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

There were two hiccups - first, the DRI device is created in the "video" group, so you have to be a member of that group to use 3D or video accel.
    I'm confused about that. How do you make it so that you're a member of that group?

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Beans

Seems like the hardest part is getting the lpia alternate iso for Intrepid to install. It will fail to install the kernel and also doesn't complete the install itself due to some xorg package conflict. I had to leave my system in a partially installed state and then go in with the rescue mode and manually install linux-image-lpia and linux-restricted-modules-lpia, run update-grub, and install ubuntu-desktop.

I wonder if there is any work that remains to be done for compatibility with xorg 1.6, or if the issue with Jaunty is just the incompatibility with 2.6.28 at this point.

edit: greggh, as far as 2d vs 3d, I think you're remembering when people disabled 3d because of the old stability issue (which is mostly resolved now). That's very different than saying that 2d performance is affected by having AIGLX enabled. Also, you're probably going to want the "3d" parts of the driver so that you can use xv to watch video.

Here is the link for "stock" (ie, not UNR) Intrepid for lpia:

http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/ports/rel...rnate-lpia.iso

The best way to get this on a USB stick is with Ubuntu's usb-creator program. It still won't install right (see above).

I didn't have to add myself to the 'video' group. I just emptied out my xorg.conf after installing the poulsbo driver packages and everything worked immediately.
    Last edited by kylecronan; May 7th, 2009 at 06:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

kylecronan, thanks for the info. Just 2 quick questions.

1. That link to the Intrepid lpia iso. Is that the one you had trouble installing and had to go into rescue mode?

2. When you say you just had to empty out your xorg.conf after installing the poulsbo driver. How exactly is emptying your xorg.conf done?

Thanks again. Sorry if some of these questions are dumb. I'm still really bad when it comes to the command line.

Page 50 of 86 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast