Page 65 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

OK, so adding the ubuntu-mobile PPA and intrepid lines to the sources is easy enough. What packages did you do a "Force Version" on in order to get everything right?

Beans

I have added all repositories I can from so many recommendations online but still can't get to view online videos or youtube properly. The thread is so long and I get lost in so many help offered in here...can someone help with simplest recommendations of repositories to download (I know it will still be slow anyway without the 3D).

Beans
    Distro

There are multiple approaches which is why it's so complicated. The general consensus is:

• Dell Hardy: Works out of the box with everthing
    • Intrepid with Ubuntu Mobile PPA (Intrepid): SHOULD work out of the box with everything though I haven't tested it but others in this thread have.
    • Jaunty with Ubuntu Mobile PPA (Jaunty): Gives proper resolution in 2D, supports cpu intensive software compositing. No 3D (This is how I run)
    • Jaunty with Ubuntu Mobile PPA (Intrepid) and Intrepid main/restricted/security/updates/et al with forced versioning of a 2.6.27 kernel and 1.5.2 Xorg should give everything.

All of this is even more complicated depending on if you're using i386 or lpia.

This new thing with the forced versions was JUST found and woodhouse seems to be the only one with it working so far. I'd like to know what he forced back because when I started trying it, it wanted to uninstall a whole lot. Anyways, if you want a netbook that works, you'll need to use Dell's Hardy until a solution to this Poulsbo (Bad Dell!!!) issue is solved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gtaluvit View Post
    There are multiple approaches which is why it's so complicated. The general consensus is:

• Dell Hardy: Works out of the box with everthing
    • Intrepid with Ubuntu Mobile PPA (Intrepid): SHOULD work out of the box with everything though I haven't tested it but others in this thread have.
    • Jaunty with Ubuntu Mobile PPA (Jaunty): Gives proper resolution in 2D, supports cpu intensive software compositing. No 3D (This is how I run)
    • Jaunty with Ubuntu Mobile PPA (Intrepid) and Intrepid main/restricted/security/updates/et al with forced versioning of a 2.6.27 kernel and 1.5.2 Xorg should give everything.

All of this is even more complicated depending on if you're using i386 or lpia.

This new thing with the forced versions was JUST found and woodhouse seems to be the only one with it working so far. I'd like to know what he forced back because when I started trying it, it wanted to uninstall a whole lot. Anyways, if you want a netbook that works, you'll need to use Dell's Hardy until a solution to this Poulsbo (Bad Dell!!!) issue is solved.
    Very good report!

Theorically you need only to
    1) add these repositories to JAUNTY:
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid main restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
    2) install psb modules;
    3) downgrade xserver-xorg and linux-image.

But I should admit that the last step is quite complicated, especially if you use some DPKG frontend like 'aptitude'... For the kernel, there are no problems. But for XOrg, if you try to downgrade it, APT enforces you to uninstall many other packages (including KDE/GNOME..). So for me the solution was to downgrade first the "sub"-packages of xserver-xorg and finally xserver-xorg itself.
    To downgrade a packages you need to launch the command:

apt-get install xserver-xorg/intrepid

Beans
    Distro

Well, I confirmed in lpia that woodhouse's method does work. I had to Pin most of the xserver packages and reboot with the 27 kernel and I had 3d working. Unfortunately, the cpu usage of X was pegged at 100% and although I could get 3d (tested by Diablo II actually working under Wine) it was terribly slow. Glxgears ran about 300 fps (as opposed to 30 in non-accelerated jaunty). Still, the need to pin all the packages and the HUGE headache in reverting back (learn to love dpkg-divert) I'm going to stick with Jaunty with UM Jaunty until they have 3d.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gtaluvit View Post
    Well, I confirmed in lpia that woodhouse's method does work. I had to Pin most of the xserver packages and reboot with the 27 kernel and I had 3d working. Unfortunately, the cpu usage of X was pegged at 100% and although I could get 3d (tested by Diablo II actually working under Wine) it was terribly slow. Glxgears ran about 300 fps (as opposed to 30 in non-accelerated jaunty). Still, the need to pin all the packages and the HUGE headache in reverting back (learn to love dpkg-divert) I'm going to stick with Jaunty with UM Jaunty until they have 3d.

i tried to do the same (installed version is 9.04 as told before and dell mini 10), but synaptic mixed to apt is an hell in forcing packets version.
    in my etc/apt/preferences i forced to 8.04 every packet
    then...
    xorg: I had first to remove the packet 1.7 and then install 1.5.2, the *only* way for me to have a real switch of version
    about the kernel..
    I found only the packet named "kernel-core"matching the version 1.2.27 mentioned and did the same as xorg
    i also found the psb packet in .deb version 0.18 and rod about that using woodhouse's configuration, psb packet version needed is <=0.20. installed it and than reboot but i got a prompt insted of X!
    btw, i need my laptop as he needs me and also u notice me that cpu is 100%, so i give up and going to reinsall ubuntu dell 9.04 and use it without 3d.

one question to everbody: is your wireless working allthetime?
    mine sometimes loose the access point and i have to reconnect manually. mine is 802.11n and cpu settings are "performance"

Beans

I have ub jaunty on my vaio-p at native resolution but screen redraws are too slow. Anyone want to give me links or an idiots guide towards getting the ubuntu mobile ppa drivers installed. Thx

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spb37 View Post
    I have ub jaunty on my vaio-p at native resolution but screen redraws are too slow. Anyone want to give me links or an idiots guide towards getting the ubuntu mobile ppa drivers installed. Thx
    i don't have my laptop near me, sorry if i am generic. in case, post questions:

here is what I did

1) install ubuntu dell image 9.04 (jauntry) - 2.1 GB is the correct size
    2) run a system update
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    synaptic (or apt, whatever.. ) will remove the old version of Xorg and install a new one, and will do more things...say yes to everything, don't worry and drink a coffe, smoke a cigarette or play for a while with your girl or your pet
    suggestion: in case you are playing with your girl, do-not-stop playing once synaptic is ready! otherwise your girl will get angry with you! (my experience)

3) remove from /boot/grub/menu.lst the lines the system added after the update
    this because with the new kernel, psb does not work!

-> this rows are referred to the NEW kernel you installed. in facts, after the update you will have 2 different kernel versions inside your system and inside your menu.lst
    so, remove the new one ( i remember the last kernel is the 2.6.2x.13)

4) add to your /etc/apt/sources the repositories of psb drivers

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

- thanks to http://www.tipsandthoughts.com/?p=4

5) run a synaptic update one more time, or apt-get update

6)install xserver-xorg-video-psb it is supposed to be version 0.31.0
    apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-psb

the system will install some addtional packages related to psb

7) reboot

8 )at this point, you are supposed to have a 9.04 running in 2D with the resolution you paid for

it worked with my brand new dell mini 10

questions? post here

bye,
    fabio
    Last edited by pachistano; June 23rd, 2009 at 03:50 PM.

Beans

Just what I needed. Thx so much

Beans

Angry Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Now I have the right resolution in my dell mini 10, but the wifi disappeared

what can I do to get it back?

Page 65 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast