Page 52 of 86 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 858

Thread: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

  1. #511
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    italy
    Beans
    33

    Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

    Quote Originally Posted by marduk667 View Post
    Wow this went really fast now, maybe they can do this for Jaunty, too? Do you know who is reponsible for the PPA?
    anybody tried to upgrade from hardy? I have a working Hardy install, according to post #252, and I suppose that the upgrade process should work as actually the only problem with Jaunty seems to be the install process (I should downgrade some psb packages too, I suppose). Any suggest?

    @those who tried Intrepid on this netbook: what about performances?

  2. #512
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    21

    Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

    I have successfully installed the i386 version of intrepid wasn't hard, use unetbootin or usb-creator to make the install USB and then boot. Everything went quickly.

    simply do:
    1) install intrepid desktop .iso
    2) run any and all updates available (without changing software sources, etc)
    3) add these two lines to /etc/apt/sources.list

    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
    and then install the packages 'poulsbo-driver-2d' and 'poulsbo-driver-3d'

    and voila! working compiz and everything! boots fast, works amazingly well, plus there's the option to upgrade to jaunty and such when the dirvers become available.

    PLEASE NOTE: do NOT add sources for backports or proposed updates, they will f!*# the install and stability up and then it will crash and will force X into low-graphics mode. If you do this, press escape at the boot menu and choose the last kernel before the bad update. It will be fine to then boot into that kernel normally. remove the two incompatible kernel entries in /boot/grub/menu.lst to get it to automatically choose the "good" kernel.

  3. #513
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Beans
    211
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

    Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

    matthiasak, thanks for the info. Going the intrepid i386 route does sound very simple compared to installing the intrepid alternate lpia iso.

    Is there a very substantial and noticeable performance hit going with i386 instead of lpia?
    Last edited by greggh; May 8th, 2009 at 09:28 PM.

  4. #514
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Beans
    211
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

    Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

    Quote Originally Posted by matthiasak View Post
    PLEASE NOTE: do NOT add sources for backports or proposed updates, they will f!*# the install and stability up and then it will crash and will force X into low-graphics mode.
    Are you saying that you can never run an update, or the system will break? Or are you saying that you just can't run any updates if you have the backports repo enabled?

  5. #515
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    21

    Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

    There is no performance hit that I can presumably feel in the system other than less developed video drivers, which are obviously still being developed.

    I just meant that you do not want to install updates from intrepid-proposed, I actually have not tried backports, but proposed installed a newer, and incompatible, kernel.

  6. #516
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Beans
    211
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

    Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

    Quote Originally Posted by matthiasak View Post
    There is no performance hit that I can presumably feel in the system other than less developed video drivers, which are obviously still being developed.
    Yeah, I know that the video drivers are still a work in progress for GMA 500. I was just wondering if there is a meaningful performance difference between running Intrepid lpia over Intrepid i386. So I gather that you think there isn't.

    I just meant that you do not want to install updates from intrepid-proposed, I actually have not tried backports, but proposed installed a newer, and incompatible, kernel.
    Now I understand. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Last edited by greggh; May 8th, 2009 at 11:05 PM.

  7. #517
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    4

    Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

    Hello guys,

    First message in this forum that I read very often.

    Just wanted to be the one that makes you happy to know that there is a first Jaunty package on the ubuntu-mobile PPA.

    It's only a source-package but I really think the end of this mess is near.

    Nice week-end to all of you.

  8. #518
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    4

    Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

    Quote Originally Posted by matthiasak View Post
    I have successfully installed the i386 version of intrepid wasn't hard, use unetbootin or usb-creator to make the install USB and then boot. Everything went quickly.

    simply do:
    1) install intrepid desktop .iso
    2) run any and all updates available (without changing software sources, etc)
    3) add these two lines to /etc/apt/sources.list

    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
    and then install the packages 'poulsbo-driver-2d' and 'poulsbo-driver-3d'

    and voila! working compiz and everything! boots fast, works amazingly well, plus there's the option to upgrade to jaunty and such when the dirvers become available.

    PLEASE NOTE: do NOT add sources for backports or proposed updates, they will f!*# the install and stability up and then it will crash and will force X into low-graphics mode. If you do this, press escape at the boot menu and choose the last kernel before the bad update. It will be fine to then boot into that kernel normally. remove the two incompatible kernel entries in /boot/grub/menu.lst to get it to automatically choose the "good" kernel.

    This blocks at step 1.

    I used the "Create a usb startup disk" wizard and the ubuntu desktop iso and at boot, I only got a prompt. (no gnome).

    What iso image did you use to get this working ?

  9. #519
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calw (Stuttgart), Germany
    Beans
    111
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

    Hey you can use the standard iso, but you have to change the xorg.conf after boot, then restart gdm.

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 80.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 70.0
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x800" "1024x640"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    After this all the steps work!
    I today have reinstalled my Mini12 with intrepid and it really works great, even better than the Dell-Image! I also can use the great functions of intrepid now (added the blueman from ppa so i can use networkmanager to connect to 3G via bluetooth)
    Also the firefox seems to be faster and more stable, the X-Server also seems more stable for what i have seen for now. Suspend/Wakeup works perfect. Compiz is a bit slow so i switched it off for now, but it really works
    It seems i now can work with the Mini12 as i wanted nearly half a year after buying it...

  10. #520
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Beans
    13

    Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

    I have just ordered a Dell Mini 12 (with XP because it was free). I plan to upgrade to Ubuntu ASAP. There has been some discussion about installing Ubuntu on the Mini 12 due to the GMA 500 graphics driver.

    I have been told in the Dell forum that the desktop i386 9.04 (jaunty) will install no problem. However, I believe the users in this thread of much greater technical competence (I mean no disrespect to the users in the Dell forums, just stating a fact). Has anyone in this thread tried jaunty. Are there potential pit falls anyone here can see?

    I have also heard about a Ubuntu Netbook Remix, a modified ubuntu for Netbooks. Ubuntu 9.04 UNR be a good option to try?

    Thanks for all the hard work the users of this thread have put into this. I do not have the technical competence myself to have figured out how to install Ubuntu on the Mini 12. Thanks to this thread I feel that I will at least be able to follow the instructions.

Page 52 of 86 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •