Page 30 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Beans

Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Quote Originally Posted by zero4281 View Post
    Here's a link: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...24/+bug/316780

Looks like it's in linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24 - 2.6.24-23.37 which sits in hardy-proposed at the moment.
    The bug is fix released and is available from Hardy repositories. It will update from package linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-23-generic Version 2.6.24-23-37. Description of the update is
    Versió 2.6.24-23.37:
    * LPIA: Poulsbo driver 2.3.0.32L.0029 update
    - LP: #316780

In the bug 316780 description is:
    "Intel has released an updated version of its Poulsbo (SCH) DRM driver (2.3.0.32L.0029); this contains numerous stability and performance related changes and is needed for lpia kernels and Ubuntu MID.".
    Inside there there are also some interesting comments:
    "Tested successfully from hardy-proposed. I tested 2D and 3D and the updated libdrm and xf86-video-psb from the ubuntu-mobile hardy ppa."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

CrazyDesi: ondemand on my UNR

i found in the diff of the kernel-patch:

add support for Linux kernel 2.6.27 & 2.6.21

sounds good did intel finally wake up?
    Last edited by marduk667; February 11th, 2009 at 08:53 PM.

Beans

Ok, I installed the dell updates, then UNR. I didn't restart in between the updates (dont know if necessary). The ubuntu-mobile PPA gave me an error about a public key not being avail, so I never installed that one.

But, after the updates, my HD clicks every 20-30 secs no matter what. In a few more hours, I will go insane. Or, my mini may be flying off my balcony.

I set SPINDOWN_TIME=200 (assuming a reboot takes this into effect)

but, do I also have to do everything under hardy here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerManagement

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marduk667 View Post
    CrazyDesi: ondemand on my UNR

i found in the diff of the kernel-patch:

add support for Linux kernel 2.6.27 & 2.6.21

sounds good did intel finally wake up?
    Thank you . I guess thats not it. I noticed some weird cpu usages in my belmont image that I downloaded, but that wasn't it I guess.

Anyway does this mean we can install a vanilla 8.04?

Beans

Is any one else having problems with their CPU acting up after closing Open Office?

Beans

Here's a link: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...24/+bug/316780

Looks like it's in linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24 - 2.6.24-23.37 which sits in hardy-proposed at the moment.
    It looks like it's in the normal hardy release. How do I help get this into the Netbook Remix?

Beans

It looks like it's in the normal hardy release. How do I help get this into the Netbook Remix?
    Well, hang on, have you tried installing it manually in UNR? There could be other components that have to be upgraded at the same time- we don't know if it will work yet. I would try it myself, but...

I'm trying Intrepid one more time (I just love the fact that aptitude can take some big set of packages like xorg from a different distribution, and just figure out everything it needs to do to hack it into place- yum would never be able to do this). Anyway, I started with the lpia alternate installer this time (very broken- but possible!).

I can confirm that the source for this version of the DRM modules (2.3.0.32L.0029) compiles fine under Intrepid with 2.6.27. I am now trying to get the latest 0.20 version of video-psb to work with xorg 1.5 (it looks like 0.20 has some changes that bring it somewhat closer to compatibility). I tried lpia Intrepid + xorg 1.4 from UNR + drm 2.3.0 + psb 0.20 and it did not work (xorg starts up but the visual display is distorted).

NB: If you are happy with your install, please ignore these crazy machinations I'm describing.

@sdslayer, the error regarding unavailable public keys can be safely ignored (well, unless you're paranoid, I guess).

Beans

Good news: the attached patch will allow xserver-xorg-video-psb to compile for xorg 1.5.2. This makes 2D accel possible in Intrepid without having to hack the xorg version. (and if you use lpia packages for your initial install, the speed is just as good as UNR)

As for the binary blobs, the firmware file and Xpsb.so load okay, so you do get xv. But the psb_dri.so library fails with "AIGLX error: psb exports no extensions (/usr/lib/dri/psb_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driDriverExtensions)". I suspect this means psb_dri.so is incompatible with the newer xorg, but it could also be the kernel module or xorg driver, both of which have a different version than the configuration in which 3D is known to work.

This setup is currently a huge pain to get working, but if anyone wants to try it I'll help.

Beans

ok, regarding the stability fixes: What happens now is that the keyboard and mouse lockups still occur, but X recovers instead of crashing. This takes 15 seconds or so. If it doesn't happen very often, not a big deal. But I wouldn't exactly call it "fixed". As I recall, 0.20.0 on UNR crashed in the usual way, so the improvement must be a result of these new DRM modules.

It may be that the actual source of the problem is in evdev or somewhere else in the input systems. I suspect this because a) this driver in particular forces you to use evdev, which is otherwise rarely used, and b) the lockups always seem to occur when using the touchpad. Has anyone else noticed this?

I sent the Dell Mini project a request for a new psb_dri.so. I believe that (along with a more proper version of my patch for video-psb) is now the last thing that is needed before all these drivers are up to date with released Ubuntu. At least, in theory- in practice, the code will of course need to be packaged properly as well.

https://answers.launchpad.net/dell-mini/+question/60733

one last update: I had a second lockup, except this time X did not recover. It didn't stop running either- I had to do a hard reboot. Major bummer.
    Last edited by kylecronan; February 12th, 2009 at 02:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Has anyone else noticed this?
    Yes, but i only use the touchpad, i do not use a normal mouse with the Mini.

Page 30 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast