Thread: [SOLVED] Whats my username and password?

Beans

[SOLVED] Whats my username and password?

I just installed everything, was on the login screen, and it asked me for my username and password....
    What could it possibly be?

Beans

Re: Whats my username and password?

Quote Originally Posted by asheq View Post
    I just installed everything, was on the login screen, and it asked me for my username and password....
    What could it possibly be?
    Use the username and password you had inputted on Ubuntu's installation wizard.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you can't remember what you put in during installation then you'll have to boot into recovery mode and find your username then reset your password there.

While the computer is booting up hit the 'esc' key you should be given the grub menu, select the highest option that has the word recovery in it.

Eventually you should get a blue screen that has as few options, select drop to a root shell.

once at a root shell type this command to figure out your username
    Code:
    ls /home
    It'll list out your user's home directory which is the same as your username.

now change your password.
    Code:
    passwd usernamehere
    reboot
    now you should be able to boot up and login with that username and the new password you have choosen
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Thanks, I was there but when i try to type my new password, it won't let me type...
    It asks for a new one, and my keyboard just won't work.
    What now?
    It'll let me press the enter key
    But not type.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I believe when you change your password there, no output will show on the screen. Just type the password, press enter, confirm it by re-entering it, and then press enter again when done.
    Last edited by kanikilu; December 18th, 2008 at 06:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Just type you password in, your keyboard is working it just doesn't echo apostrophe's back for security reasons (someone looking over your shoulder can't see how many characters the password is)
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Ohh. See, I thought of that. But didn't want to sound like an idiot if I had replied with that. Thanks!