Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evolution forgetting passwords!

Beans

Evolution forgetting passwords!

It seems almost random, the dialog to enter pop3 passwords keeps popping up. I re-enter the password and sooner or later the same dialog pops up again prompting for the password. It sometimes happens again within minutes, sometimes hours.

I have about 5 email accounts, all of them at one time or another need the password re-entered.

its driving me nuts! I recently upgraded to intrepid, I currently have evolution 2.24.2.

I've been googling for a day now trying to find the answer - or at least someone with the same problem. I found a few posts but they either had no solution or one that didnt work for me. Most folks are griping about webcal passwords being forgotten but not pop3 passwords...

HELP!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Evolution forgetting passwords!

Well, I know it's not the solution you're looking for, but you might just try using thunderbird instead of evolution. If you install the thunderbird addon "lightning" it gives you calendar support as well. The only thing I think you really loose is new email notification in the tray when you have yet to open up your mail client (once thunderbird is open it gives you alarms)
    Sharing Wifi Is Caring Wifi {o,o} Ubuntu Community Docs..
    |)__)
    -”-”-
    O RLY?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, I'm experiencing the same annoying problem. If you (or anyone) figure(d) out why it's happening, please let us know!

Beans

Not long after posting this (and receiving an underwhelming amount of replies!) I decided to switch to Thunderbird. I love the filters, and it seems to be exceptional at filtering spam - everything else is either a yawn or not as ergonomic (read: comfortable for an ex-outlook lover). I've been happily living with it though.

I wanted to report that it too forgets passwords. Every now and again I randomly get a dialog asking for the password of 1 or more my email accounts, it also asks if I want password manager to remember it.

Regardless of how many times I answer yes the dialog randomly comes back.

Could the forgetting of passwords not be an evolution or a t-bird thing but an Ubuntu 8.10 thing?

Beans

not that anyone seems to be relating... but after using thunderbird for a while, then switching to claws, I am now convinced that Evolution is best suited for me - except that the problem mentioned originally persists...

I tried re-installing Evolution and so far that hasn't fixed anything... guess I have to live with it until elves come in to my office at night and fix it for me...

Please, if anyone has had a similar problem and found a fix please share!

Beans
    Hidden!

What are the e mail accounts? Evolution has no problems with my gmail account.
    "All right amatuer hour's over. Let me show you why they call me the Velour Fog...."
    .:GitHub:.|.:Dropbox:.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chamber View Post
    What are the e mail accounts? Evolution has no problems with my gmail account.
    All 5 are pop3...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by geo316 View Post
    It seems almost random, the dialog to enter pop3 passwords keeps popping up. I re-enter the password and sooner or later the same dialog pops up again prompting for the password. It sometimes happens again within minutes, sometimes hours.

I have about 5 email accounts, all of them at one time or another need the password re-entered.

its driving me nuts! I recently upgraded to intrepid, I currently have evolution 2.24.2.

I've been googling for a day now trying to find the answer - or at least someone with the same problem. I found a few posts but they either had no solution or one that didnt work for me. Most folks are griping about webcal passwords being forgotten but not pop3 passwords...

HELP!
    are you talking about the keyring password or email passwords?
    have you checked on the emails pop3 setup if the remember password box is ticked?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    are you talking about the keyring password or email passwords?
    have you checked on the emails pop3 setup if the remember password box is ticked?
    Email password dialog, Password box is definitely ticked... I first started using Ubuntu last summer... up until December Evo worked fine...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

well, why not backup your emails then delete all evolution configuration folders (home/user/.evolution and home/user/.gconf/apps/evolution) then start all over again with a fresh setup?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast