Thread: Can't install Thunderbird using Ubuntuzilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Can't install Thunderbird using Ubuntuzilla

Hi,

I have just downloaded and run ubuntuzilla-4.5.7-0ubuntu-i386.deb and when I typed ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p thunderbird, I got the following message:

bash: /usr/bin/ubuntuzilla.py: permission denied

I don't understand why this has happened. I have installed Thunderbird on my laptop, my old computer and that of a friend a few weeks ago and it all went as smooth as clockwork. Today I have a new computer and I can't install Thunderbird.

The only difference between today's installation and previous ones is that the previous ones were with Ubuntu 8.04 and the new computer has Ubuntu 8.1

Being fairly new to Ubuntu I don't know how to give myself permission to install Thunderbird - I didn't need permission before. I am the 'administrator' of the new machine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Can't install Thunderbird using Ubuntuzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Chris62 View Post
    Hi,

I have just downloaded and run ubuntuzilla-4.5.7-0ubuntu-i386.deb and when I typed ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p thunderbird, I got the following message:

bash: /usr/bin/ubuntuzilla.py: permission denied

I don't understand why this has happened. I have installed Thunderbird on my laptop, my old computer and that of a friend a few weeks ago and it all went as smooth as clockwork. Today I have a new computer and I can't install Thunderbird.

The only difference between today's installation and previous ones is that the previous ones were with Ubuntu 8.04 and the new computer has Ubuntu 8.1

Being fairly new to Ubuntu I don't know how to give myself permission to install Thunderbird - I didn't need permission before. I am the 'administrator' of the new machine
    Hi
    hmm, could you see the permissions on /usr/bin/ubuntuzilla.py?
    Code:
    ls -al /usr/local/bin/ubuntuzilla.py
    i recently recoded some auto-packaging scripts, maybe i messed up the permissions. if it's not executable, do
    Code:
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/ubuntuzilla.py
    and then it should work.
    Last edited by nanotube; November 21st, 2008 at 05:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Update: i just made another ubuntuzilla release (4.5.8) that fixes this .deb bug (which was just introduced in this previous release because i changed the .deb packaging script). So best thing to do is to get the latest release and install it, then you won't have any permissions problems.
    Last edited by Sef; November 23rd, 2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Disabled Similies in Text

Beans
    Distro

Hi nanotube, thanks for your reply. I have just typed 'ubuntuzilla.sourceforge.net' into Firefox but can't get into the web site; I immediately get invited to download a file called 'auth.php' which appears to be an empty file. I have tried several times, always with that result

I'll try again later

Beans
    Distro

Hello again nanotube. I'm just letting you know that I have now downloaded the new version of Ubuntuzilla and have installed Thunderbird. Many thanks for your help

Beans
    Distro

Yeah I too wondered why script would not run. Upgraded and fine now.

Thanks, just wanted to confirm the fix for ya... Have a great new year every body!!

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your feedback. good luck in the new year to you as well.