Thread: VMWare Server 2 & Physical Disks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

VMWare Server 2 & Physical Disks

Has anyone managed to hack a vm under vmware server 2 to use a physical disk?

I didn't pay much attention to the deletion of this functionality when I "upgraded" to v 2 as I wasn't intending to use it. Now I'd like to use it and can't!

I was wondering if hacking the .vmx file would work. Anyone tried?
    Veloce
    Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on Dell Vostro 1510, Core2 Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M , Intel 1395 Wireless.
    OK: Wireless, kvm, Canon irc2880, Synergy.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: VMWare Server 2 & Physical Disks

Hello,
    Have not played much with v2, I must admit. However, I'd advise against any unsupported hacks, especially when it comes to physical disks. You don't want to accidentally trash them, do you?
    Dedoimedo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Dedoimedo View Post
    Hello,
    Have not played much with v2, I must admit. However, I'd advise against any unsupported hacks, especially when it comes to physical disks. You don't want to accidentally trash them, do you?
    Dedoimedo
    If I can't use them I'll be trashing them myself!

Looks like I'll have to decide how much I want them. ATM their attractiveness is at a pretty low ebb. Their reason for being is to try and use the copy of XP that came with my Dell laptop. If I install it in a vm it requires activation (I suppose because it doesn't detect the dell hardware). So I installed it as dual boot. I thought what I could do then is use it occasionally as a vm - it will probably ask to be activated - then boot back to native to hopefully clear it. Not sure if the strategy would work anyway and I'm loath to switch back to v1.

When XP was supported, I got this to work by ringing Microsoft and getting it activated manually. Unfortunately, it now comes up as an unsupported product!

I really hate it when M$'s activation procedures don't allow you to do stuff that complies with their licence agreement. (Hence why the laptop runs Ubuntu as it's core OS).
    Veloce
    Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on Dell Vostro 1510, Core2 Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M , Intel 1395 Wireless.
    OK: Wireless, kvm, Canon irc2880, Synergy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I don't understand how you propose to have something as a VM and also a dual boot, I don't think that is possible. However if you reinstall XP in a VM all you should need is the activation key. You can get the key from the origional physical install of XP using this software : http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/.